Small Chipper Advice 4" 100mm

Jamie Jones

First post so I hope that I have done it in the right section...

I run a small sole trader garden maintenance business that is still in it's start-up period.  When ever I have done bush clearance, tree pruning, small tree removal, hedge cutting and removal I have always just dragged the waste to my trailer and taken it to the local tip to dispose of the waste using my trade waste licence. But from now on things have changed at the local tip making it very hard to get rid of any volume of waste. I also get the impression that trade waste will soon be refused.

I have not budgeted for this change and it looks like I will need to get my first chipper... I am looking to get a 4" / 100mm chipper that I can get in to residential properties and transport around fairly easily. I would therefore be grateful for some advice on what to go for.  I don't want anything that is cheap and nasty

One option I have been looking at is the Greenmech CS100 but I had not budgeted for this situation. So is it worth breaking the bank for one or is there equally as good cheaper options with a good engine?

Also is there any creative advice on off loading the wood chippings with out paying to dispose of them at the local tip? (I should point out that I operate from a residential location so I can't store them to sell on to customers further down the road).

All advice is welcome

Edited by Jamie Jones
Spelling

When i start out i bought a timberwolf 100/18 great little machine and still have it running alongside  a 150HDB, as for getting rid of chips local farmer may take them. I have a deal with an equestrian trainer how has them for a gallop around a field takes them fresh and I can tip any time of day. 

• Like 1

Or rent a yard pile up chips and sell to customers as

bulk mulch...... get the right yard and you can pile up stock

and hire in a chipper to create mulch as needed.......

Not sure what tickets you need for this but makes sense to me

• Like 1

Sounds a ridiculous idea to me. Rent a yard handball stuff on and off the trailer and pile up branches and rent in a chipper every few months in the hope of selling a bit? Rather than buy a small chipper and tip as you go for free if find the right places?

I think once you invest in a small chipper you will naturally gain more work. The CS100 is the daddy of small chippers... Put the kettle on and find the wee chipper club thread on here and have a browse.

If you do buy a GM CS100 and sell it in 3 years you'll get 75% of your money back as resale value is amazing. Spent 2.5k on a brand new lesser product and in 3 years time it'll be worth next to nothing. Spend the extra money, get three years warranty, work with a decent machine and have cheapest cost of ownership of them all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dan494 said:

Sounds a ridiculous idea to me. Rent a yard handball stuff on and off the trailer and pile up branches and rent in a chipper every few months in the hope of selling a bit? Rather than buy a small chipper and tip as you go for free if find the right places?

The money you would spend on renting a yard and hiring in a chipper would easily finance a nice little machine.. Plus then there is the unproductive labour of handballing brash, stacking and occasionally chipping it up with a hire machine. - Time where he could be out on chargeable jobs?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

I think once you invest in a small chipper you will naturally gain more work. The CS100 is the daddy of small chippers... Put the kettle on and find the wee chipper club thread on here and have a browse.

If you do buy a GM CS100 and sell it in 3 years you'll get 75% of your money back as resale value is amazing. Spent 2.5k on a brand new lesser product and in 3 years time it'll be worth next to nothing. Spend the extra money, get three years warranty, work with a decent machine and have cheapest cost of ownership of them all.

What the man said......

The main advantage of a wee chipper is leaving the chip in situ :)

22 hours ago, Jamie Jones said:

I run a small sole trader garden maintenance business that is still in it's start-up period.  When ever I have done bush clearance, tree pruning, small tree removal, hedge cutting and removal

Bare in mind hedge cuttings, prunings etc aren't something you can really feed through a chipper