Stage V Non-road engine diesel emissions

kevinjohnsonmbe

Is anyone worried (or thinking about) Stage V regs when considering replacement chippers?  Or considering the implications of the potential requirement for retro-fit of DPF to current / older models?  

Will this impact upon second hand values and should it be taken seriously now if about to purchase new by ensuring Stage V compliancy?  

Just watched a Forst product vid and they are advancing the significance of this issue.  

Will it, in the short term, predominantly affect urban areas where diesels emissions are more problematic - maybe present an opportunity for 2nd hand kit to be moved out to more rural areas where DE is less of an issue?  

https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/nonroad.php

Extract:

• Future. Stage V legislation commits the European Commission to produce two reports on future emission regulations for nonroad engines:
    • By the end of 2018—An assessment of the possibility of adopting measures for the installation of retrofit emission control devices in existing, in-use nonroad engines.
    • By the end of 2020—An assessment of further pollutant emission reduction potential, and the identification of potentially relevant pollutant types that do not fall within the scope of the Stage V regulation.

Its rubbish...manufacturers have been making machinery with diesel engines on for years and now all of a sudden these petrol engines are going to out perform their diesel replacements! There is a reason diesel engines are the preferred option. Emission laws that are forcing manufacturers to go down this route will inevitably only put more pressure on the end user...US.

More cost, more unreliability, more down time, I think folk will struggle to pass the cost onto the customer in an already over saturated market with every tom dick & harry having a go...

Not saying air pollution is a good thing but for me...buy the last of the new chippers b4 they all change & plan for the future.

1 hour ago, simonm said:

buy the last of the new chippers b4 they all change

It happened with vacuum cleaners (so the wife tells me!)  EU down rated the power and there was a big surge in buying the last of the old stock.  

What troubles me though, unlike a vacuum cleaner where there's little or no 2nd hand market, unless you buy the last of the old stock chippers and keep it / run it to destruction, this could have the potential to knock the bottom out of the 2nd hand market.  

Buy last of the old stock and keep it till the bolts fall out or buy compliant and retain a 2nd resale value.....?¬¬

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I read that this morning and commented on the timberwolf facebook page linking to this about when they are switching. It says they can supply current engines until 2020 or 2019 so i'm a bit confused to when i'd need to order a 230 if wanted a new diesel one. Anyone got a clue?

They can sell them but should sites, local authority's and such say we want to see a risk assessment and pollution assessment and you have a dirty diesel you may be refused work. I would say unlikely but you may also have to pay toll/toxin charges in some cities which will filter down to town centres.

At some point the S/H value of older machines or non stage v may drop.

We have a forst st6p and it is a powerhouse and does not use much fuel much to my own surprise.

They can sell them but should sites, local authority's and such say we want to see a risk assessment and pollution assessment and you have a dirty diesel you may be refused work. I would say unlikely but you may also have to pay toll/toxin charges in some cities which will filter down to town centres.

At some point the S/H value of older machines or non stage v may drop.

We have a forst st6p and it is a powerhouse and does not use much fuel much to my own surprise.

I think you’re spot on - looking to the future.

S/H value must fall in line with a predicted drop in demand associated with increasing penalties in urban areas. It might be that rural areas are less affected (in the short term) but it’s still taking away a potential market sector for S/H diesel machines.

I’d accept the sales (and user) pitch that fuel consumption is fairly equal, surely the biggest negative factor is the loss of access to rebated diesel?

Until petrol starts to take over (or folks pony up the extra mullah for Stage V Diesel engine) having a “clean” motor is something that could be presented as a positive sales pitch - particularly to the rich, eco hippies - and could provide the winning edge over an otherwise equal competitor...

Just musing....
  • Like 1