Gonna get me an iron horse

TimberCutterDartmoor

Those things are ten a penny in plymouth! Why? Because the RM Commandos train with them on the moor and twice a week a few artics go up and down past the door with a bunch of them on the back! Occassionally, one won't be on a lorry and will be whizzing down the road itself, keeping up with the traffic at 40 mph.

British army has asked for a quote on a couple of more...200 or somfing:blushing:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Phoned (Artcom Tradebridge) and MD 'phoned me back in the evening - had a chat. He said a US manufacturer of undercarriage parts had gone bust so the iron horse people were tooling up another co causing all his demo machines to be sold ?! Start price 5k all the way upto 10; average seven with timber trailer, winch etc.

That's interesting..

I've looked into getting one of these. The price list they sent (it's dated 2008) for the lowest spec 2090 with winch was £7400; if you wanted the better suspension and spikes on the tracks, it's £8385 on this list, and they quoted £1260 for the timber cart. It would be good if they had got cheaper! Having said that, I've heard that they wear quite well, still going 10 + years later.

We had a demo..not on the hilly site we wanted..but the version he brought easily dragged a half ton ash log around. The 9 hp version is quite quick on the flat, too. It can squeeze through almost any gap you can, and it doesn't leave much of a mark where it's been, either. We had the demo in a nature reserve, with the reserve manager watching. He was happy with the impact it had on the site, and they really do not like ruts and other damage at that site.

I'm trying to get ERDP funding to buy one myself. I've had to put a business plan together, where I've compared it to other small scale stuff, like Alstors and quads with trailers etc. It compares well on cost per cu. m extracted, especially on steep sites with short extraction distances.

I'm sure people like Xerxes and Jaimie are the experts on using it, but let me know if you need stuff like outputs, running costs etc.

'Phoned (Artcom Tradebridge) and MD 'phoned me back in the evening - had a chat. He said a US manufacturer of undercarriage parts had gone bust so the iron horse people were tooling up another co causing all his demo machines to be sold ?! Start price 5k all the way upto 10; average seven with timber trailer, winch etc.

OK, I'll have to ring again and leave my number.

It just worries me when a Co never answers the phone, if I'm wanting to buy I feel sure they will ring me back, but what about after I've bought one and have a warranty issue?? :sneaky2:

• 8 months later...
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:Number 1 piece of kit use it all the time , only proplem in 4 years of hard use is the g/box can be a bit nothy to engage a little rev in nueteral and away it goes. spares bearings cables and alot of other parts can be found much much cheaper if you look around not the fault of the guys up north , but there supplier over the water , i do believe they have made some of there own stuff up north to fit the I/horse at a very good rate.

DSC00035.jpg.52d66209fdba37d8f7398495969b05b6.jpg

597657954e7bb_grimesgraves09004.jpg.f247287b0d118972c37945ce0222d8ea.jpg

003.jpg.8668e665ad6f2ba0933e38af2f048441.jpg

110.jpg.a909c6ad67cbe610ab785066b04579d8.jpg

59765795412ea_BROADFEN024.jpg.aa0ac4b88f34c8d91b662fc7dc525df1.jpg

As mentioned upthread, UK importer is Artcom Tradebridge, in Nairn I think. they also import Swedish construction machinery and own the old Scot-Track business.

I've the Jan 2010 pricelist as a pdf (was current as of 1 July), quotes basic 2055 a £5859, £6929 w/combi cart. Can post as attachment/mail.

The Manufacturers also do a 'Wheelhorse', basically a 2wd traction head mated to a Kranman drive trailer, about £20k ex factory:

Hjulhästen

There's this too, as an Ironhorse alternative, no idea on cost:

Oxen Minilunnare

Or for those who prefer to ride in comfort:

RangeRunner by Mac's Trax, Inc. | TerraTrack Grand Rapids, Michigan

• 5 years later...

I've decided I need an iron horse (missed the one arb trader). Anyone got one for sale?

What are the alternatives looked at a tracked barrow but looks like it lacks the versatility of the team deal. How do people so use tracked barrows get on?

I'll be using it for the normal variety of surgery tasks, about the yard, sending the wife to the shops (perhaps not she'd cut my swingers off😈)etc

Cheers

Mark