Piss poor machinery

simonm

i bet the chippers weren't Bandit or Schliesling - I'm still mashing in the back of my tipper, but think if i had storage for a machine I would rather do 10k on a pre loved Shliesling e.g 480 Ex , or 150 Bandit and then 10k on repairs than a brand spanker for 20 - appreciate finance comes into it though
The Schliesing 480EX and Bandit 150 are my two favourites for a wheeled chipper - a decent tracked machine would be out of my range without finance, although the Jensen A340T looks worth repairing. I can mash quite a big broadleaf with the saw and get it away in one or two. If I was fully invested in arb it would be as a conny basher. Take a tractor up to it with a TP250.
Sorry another pointless post, easy spending other peoples money

Dream chipper http://www.globalrecycling.eu/equipment/schliesing-480mx-2/

Just sold this, its gone to Ireland on Friday.

54 minutes ago, simonm said:

Bandit 2250

Forst TR6

Tw 280TFTR

All new 

It could be that the way they are used/abused by staff has an impact.. I have found as we have expanded as a company kit breaks far more often then when I was on the tools.  Perhaps who owns it makes a difference..?

• Like 1

Nope all well maintained, used by 1 of 2 men, not abused.

All faults are from manufacturing errors, ie tw fuel tank leaking, hydro pipe rubbing on metal flange on guard when rollers are fully open, dealer takes machine in to fit new tank, takes it apart to find they have wrong tank! Dealer puts machine back together wrong, washers from something sat loose on belly plate! Spoke numerous times about concerns over where the hydro suction pipe is mounted but nothing is happening about it! Going to speak to tw tomorrow.

Girlfriend spent 14k on a new fiesta all mod cons inside leather top of the range no problems...26k on an engine on track carriage with a flywheel on it and problems are starting already, where is the money in chippers go. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, benedmonds said:

It could be that the way they are used/abused by staff has an impact.. I have found as we have expanded as a company kit breaks far more often then when I was on the tools.  Perhaps who owns it makes a difference..?

I probably shouldn't say it, we do maintain  and service kit, although occasionally rads and filters can be choked.

other than ensuring we keep to service schedules, changing blades, keeping greased and road legal we abuse the hell out of the kit.

Its there to absolutely slagged day in day out, if it can't cope with it then something is wrong.

To be fair other than the bigger kit - excluding Vermeer stuff which are bean cans full of electronics that break, and poorly aligned set up engine bay cooling systems. We spend a bit of time keeping on top of the problems and usually downtime is limited and to be expected with any plant, our old TW150 was like triggers broom and with the new TW230 being such a good bit of kit the guys make it work hard.

What is not acceptable is taking undue amounts of time to resolve problems or burying your head in the sand in regards to design flaws, put your hands up breaks down are to be expected suck it up and put it right.

Our TW230 was very unreliable but Timber Wolf acknowledged the problems to us and bent over backwards to sort it (I will add you do have to know how to apply pressure sometimes) even though the TW230 has spent nearly 4-5 weeks not earning money when it does I forgive it and know what I'll be buying next - another TW230

Our Forst ST6 has been flawless and hardly missed a beat even when we forced fed it with an excavator for a week, but I don't want another one because it annoys me hopefully the mark 2 will be better - Cough cough proper buttons/wide hopper feed table.

i suppose what it comes down to is expectations of service and productivity.

The Bandit is hands down best chipper we ever owned blows the Vermeers out of the park even if it was an emotional 15 month journey to actually get it. But I worked for someone who owns 2 big bandits now and he is going to trade them in for Forst ST8 because he think they are built better..... go figure.

I probably shouldn't say it, we do maintain  and service kit, although occasionally rads and filters can be choked.

other than ensuring we keep to service schedules, changing blades, keeping greased and road legal we abuse the hell out of the kit.
Its there to absolutely slagged day in day out, if it can't cope with it then something is wrong.

To be fair other than the bigger kit - excluding Vermeer stuff which are bean cans full of electronics that break, and poorly aligned set up engine bay cooling systems. We spend a bit of time keeping on top of the problems and usually downtime is limited and to be expected with any plant, our old TW150 was like triggers broom and with the new TW230 being such a good bit of kit the guys make it work hard.

What is not acceptable is taking undue amounts of time to resolve problems or burying your head in the sand in regards to design flaws, put your hands up breaks down are to be expected suck it up and put it right.

Our TW230 was very unreliable but Timber Wolf acknowledged the problems to us and bent over backwards to sort it (I will add you do have to know how to apply pressure sometimes) even though the TW230 has spent nearly 4-5 weeks not earning money when it does I forgive it and know what I'll be buying next - another TW230

Our Forst ST6 has been flawless and hardly missed a beat even when we forced fed it with an excavator for a week, but I don't want another one because it annoys me hopefully the mark 2 will be better - Cough cough proper buttons/wide hopper feed table.

i suppose what it comes down to is expectations of service and productivity.

The Bandit is hands down best chipper we ever owned blows the Vermeers out of the park even if it was an emotional 15 month journey to actually get it. But I worked for someone who owns 2 big bandits now and he is going to trade them in for Forst ST8 because he think they are built better..... go figure.

Tell him I have a fully factory rebuild 2year old st8 for sale, basically it's a brand new machine with a 400hr hr engine in it if he fancys making a big saving on a new one 240e91ebfa273a266ff7788c434da93f.jpg962686169f0633294714dcbac5b51a77.jpgb93e56c74ba8e4364b7617597e6ca1f2.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Tell him I have a fully factory rebuild 2year old st8 for sale, basically it's a brand new machine with a 400hr hr engine in it if he fancys making a big saving on a new one 240e91ebfa273a266ff7788c434da93f.jpg962686169f0633294714dcbac5b51a77.jpgb93e56c74ba8e4364b7617597e6ca1f2.jpg

Why did it need a factory rebuild at 400hrs?  Three of our 4 chippers have over 1000 hrs ..? (tw190, TW 250 and vermeer 230xl) I don#'t think any of them need a full rebuild..