Starter saw

Boggle4137

Hi guys, since i did my 380mm course ive been meaning to swap out my mcoullogh 360T (whitch is pretty poor). The problem is i really need a solid saw so i can use the mc as a back up. Ive used a husq 550xp and i loved it and thats what im probably going to buy. However £450 is a little steep at the min as im getting my srt climbing kit together too. Should i just save up for the husq or buy a cheaper smaller saw for now? Any advice would be great as im fairly new and slowly getting my tickets. Cheers

I usually try to buy better quality if the item is going to be used hard, often and needs to be reliable. If the saw will sit on the shelf most of the time then buy cheap and possibly cheerful.

If you do go for a cheap option, just bear in mind that you may end up buying a better saw in a year or two - it is just the way it is and you learn to go for the better option as time goes on and funds are more available.

11 hours ago, peatff said:

Cheapest 550xp I've seen is at Forest and Arb for £499 but if I was going to be using it a lot and that's what I liked it's what I would go for. I have a 135 for firewood and although I like it it's not in the same league as the pro saws.

Honey bros do a 550 xp with 18' bar and heated handles for £462. But thats without p+p of course.

3 hours ago, Boggle4137 said:

Honey bros do a 550 xp with 18' bar and heated handles for £462. But thats without p+p of course.

Their standard 550xp is £418+vat which is £502, the heated handle is £31+vat and an 18" bar is another £12+vat on top of that according to their website. That's more like £555. If you are vat registered can you claim it back ?

• Sad 1