Stihl hedgetrimmer problem

Vespasian

The trimmer is an HS86R, in case it has bearin on matters..

Oh, thanks for the replies lads, I just felt I might end up havin to bin the damn thing.. but it seems the consensus is its repairable..  

Lurkalot

The engine runs fine, whats at issue is the star looking thingy coming out the engine part of the trimmer that rotates the gears on the head.. its not turning when the engine runs... I can hear somethin rattlin about when I start it up....

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

Just split the clutch/gearbox drive part from the engine and you may find that the drum has sheared from the sprocket

As  it turned out to be a HS86R that will definitely be the problem, it uses the same drum as a HS81R and I have a pile of them which have come apart, it's a really crappy joint by Stihl, although they won't admit it.

11 hours ago, lurkalot said:

As  it turned out to be a HS86R that will definitely be the problem, it uses the same drum as a HS81R and I have a pile of them which have come apart, it's a really crappy joint by Stihl, although they won't admit it.

The brazing is like a shear pin, it protects the more expensive bits.

On the rail work it was a fairly regular occurrence because hedgecutters were used instead of  brush cutters to avoid flinging bits about, so they were cutting stuff above their design capabilities.

I did wonder about making a jig to reflow the braze but decided the effort was not woth it compared with a genuine replacement clutch drum.

On 25/09/2017 at 09:54, openspaceman said:

The brazing is like a shear pin, it protects the more expensive bits.

On the rail work it was a fairly regular occurrence because hedgecutters were used instead of  brush cutters to avoid flinging bits about, so they were cutting stuff above their design capabilities.

I did wonder about making a jig to reflow the braze but decided the effort was not woth it compared with a genuine replacement clutch drum.

Why not use the proper bladed scrub cutters? Must be awkward as hell using the hedge cutter like that?

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Grass-Trimmers-Brushcutters-and-Clearing-Saws/Accessories-for-grass-trimmers-brushcutters-and-clearing-saws/Attachments-for-brushcutters/275187-28031/FH-145-adjustable-scrub-cutter.aspx

can I sort of hijack this with a quick and related question? My 'spares or repair' - which runs moslty OK (HS65AV), has a clutch problem (and a couple of others too, but I got it cheap for the blades) - the blades are always engaged.

So the question is how do you get at the clutch to have a look? I can take off the housing on the starter side (the left), there arw no obviious external bolts on the right side, are the seccuring bolts fastened from the inside? Simpe instructions would hekp.

Appologies for hijacking with my quesiotn, I am hoping thr advice would be the same for mine and the OPs headge trimmers