Tractor exhaust extraction

jamesmerriman7

2 hours ago, Justme said:

Make an adapter to a long slot exit pipe.

Double the cross sectional area of the pipe should do it.

Can you break this down for me... from the exhaust scaffold pipe to be put on a bend so no burn out on the angle where flexi liner joins... not sure wot u mean by the last paragraph can u explain...

4 hours ago, jamesmerriman7 said:

Been reading up on exhaust temperatures, 400/600 degrees under 60-80% pto load! Scaffold tube take that heat? 

An exhaust is just made from thin steel. Scaffold tubes generally use thicker steel so I think they'd be OK.

I'm not sure if constricting the outlet from the exhaust would affect your tractor - easy enough to experiment and maybe have two scaffold tube outlets.

Unless its a very small tractor like an old MF135 then the scaffold pipe is going to be much too small and restrict the flow of exhaust gas, causing a back pressure which will reduce performance and increase emissions. Any joints in the pipe are going to leak gases big style and those gasses are going to be extra smelly.

The exhaust gases soon cool as they expand, so feed the tractor exhaust into a large duct as soon as possible after the leaving the standard pipe using flexible hose as mentioned and keep the bents gentle.

If using an extractor fan it would have to pretty large to shift the volume of gas. For example, a 4litre engine would exhaust 3000 litres a minute at 1500 rpm so an in-line extractor would need to shift more than that not to cause a pressure increase.

10 hours ago, Justme said:

One thing to watch with scaf is the galv coating.

Get it too hot & it makes crappy gasses.

Google galv fever re welding it.

Galv flu is a big internet scare it gives you a chill for a day, I gas welded a lot of galvanised ducting when I worked in foundries and never got any symptoms. The shed is 80 feet square according to OP with vented eaves so lots of natural ventilation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peatff said:

Galv flu is a big internet scare it gives you a chill for a day, I gas welded a lot of galvanised ducting when I worked in foundries and never got any symptoms. The shed is 80 feet square according to OP with vented eaves so lots of natural ventilation.

Not everyone gets it plus you do build up a tolorance. I have had it & its not nice.

25 minutes ago, Justme said:

Not everyone gets it plus you do build up a tolorance. I have had it & its not nice.

Yes but you don't get it from passing exhaust gas through scaffold pipes in an open area. Metal fume fever is caused by melting the galvanised metal and sticking your head in the smoke for too long. 

• Like 1

The issue of 'weld fume fever', more accurately called 'zinc oxide poisoning', should not be taken lightly. OK, as said, you will not get it from a galvanised exhaust, but the effects from welding can be quite severe.

Peatff is very lucky not to have been affected by it. I used to do a lot of welding and cutting of heavily galvanised materials and the effects were very unpleasant, causing the onset of symptoms like very severe flu within a few hours, literally knocking me off my feet. 

Full recoveries normally take place within a few days, but there are recorded deaths from severe poisoning.

Take care and ventilate if welding galv, better still use a ventilated mask.

• Like 1