Where does your domestic work come from?

Tom D

Where do you get the most incoming jobs  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What brings in the most work?

• Your own website.
    • Word of mouth
    • Leaflet drop
    • 3rd party website (yell etc)
    • Lead generator (checkatrade etc)
    • Regular customers.
    • Local press

Don't have a website (have a FB page but that's not a new business generator), don't do leaflets, 3rd party websites (apart from QTRA but that's only ever generated 1 job in 2 years), don't do checkatrade etc, nor press.

I'd estimate it's 33/33/33 between word of mouth, repeat customers and 'seeing' a job that needs doing whilst out and about and making an introduction and describing the requirement to the tree / land owner then letting them decide if the logic makes sense.  

• Like 1

Shhh Bolam, I'm trying to build an air of respectability..

i should have mentioned door knocking. 

Funnily enough ugh I knocked a door the other day, there was a big dead lime in the front garden and I was interested in what killed it.. they weren't in, I just got sone confused air b&b customer lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Don't have a website (have a FB page but that's not a new business generator), don't do leaflets, 3rd party websites (apart from QTRA but that's only ever generated 1 job in 2 years), don't do checkatrade etc, nor press.

I'd estimate it's 33/33/33 between word of mouth, repeat customers and 'seeing' a job that needs doing whilst out and about and making an introduction and describing the requirement to the tree / land owner then letting them decide if the logic makes sense.  

Why no website Kevin?

29 minutes ago, Tom D said:

Why not rank the poll options here, we might all learn something from this.

here's mine.

website 50%

word of mouth 20%

previous clients 20%

local press 10%

Pretty much the same as that. Maybe 40 on the website this year as beginning to get work generated from our Facebook page so 5-10% there

Just now, Matthew Storrs said:

Just roughly,

70% of my work is regular customers with the odd new/one off customer here and there

.website and local parish mag enticed them to begin but mainly word of mouth now which is great as my advertising costs are very low- perhaps £200 a year.

How long did it take you to get to that point? I'm finding it a bit easier each year, be nice to give up advertising though, but only spend about £100 a month on average so not a massive deal

3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I get quite a few tarmacing jobs by 'seeing' a job that needs doing and describing what needs doing to the old ladies driveway......

for what little domestic work I do it's either word of mouth or from what little advertising I do in parish council mags and the like.