Rates

Jon kelly

Do you replace each saw annually? Just asking.

I think you've probably under valued your climbing kit if you include rigging equipment. 

Obviously I don't replace my saws annually. However the upkeep isn't free, bars/ chains etc cost a fair bit. Repairs and having enough in the bank to replace them when they do down too.

I think £1500 is about right for my climbing kit, Im not including rigging kit as I don't sub to people that dont have their own. I can provide mine at extra cost but so far I've not needed to.

Ppe and clothing can easily cost £500 per year.

I'm not complaining about how much a subby can earn, just pointing out that it's very easy to multiply a persons day rate by 52 and think "that's pretty good".

People mention £150 a day as being the top limit. I think it's a fair amount for turning up with basic kit and being able to get a job done, but then a lot of people I've spoken to find it hard to find a decent climber. Go figure.

And the chippy is on 60K....! about the same as a GP.  I bet they regret all those years at medical school..

I deal with chippies as part of my second business and they charge anywhere from 170 to 250 depending on how much work I have for them. As for kit, I've had a "kit showdown" with a couple of the lads and they don't have nearly the cost we do for equipment, plus their kit lasts for years or decades. A really good mitre saw with dust extractor is less than my cruddy 201t.

There is no point comparing rates from kent to the rest of the country yes down south u can make more you also pay for your mortgage or rent and many other things I have subbed all over the country and the world all this going on about 150 is nowt and it should be more I charge different amounts for different companies depending on how greedy they are what sort of work they are gunner want me doing easy day to day tree is less then been flogged up and down big takedowns all sometimes I am on my way home at twelve if I decided my day rate into 4 hrs I make allot more than that chippy staying on sight till 5 every day at the end of the day my skills decide what time I am finished not some horrid sight manager on a power trip and a bonus scheme I dislike the amount of comments made from non subby climbers thinking they no finances of what I should or shouldn't make unless I have been on ur sight and wotrked u have no clue

• Like 1

If I have a dismantle on a tree over high value targets and had to meet clients obligations and that works was gonna be a one-off with a trusted bloke with his own climbing kit it would certainly be £250 a day, just because I know the inherent costs and risks.

Any team ( 2 men and their own chipper ) I get in gets £650 a day with one load out ( each load is extra cash ) and any client don't  like that can get the pikeys in. K

• Like 2