Rates

Jon kelly

On 22/09/2017 at 07:14, Jon@CareFell said:

True, I see a big difference in the type of work out there and the standard of service/ quality of the finished product. If you want your guys to be smart, polite and actually capable of undertaking an aerial rescue and then administering first aid to someone suffering from what could be severe trauma (that someone also could well be you) then you have to offer more than rock bottom pay.

It is my point - I wouldn't want a medal for what We do but I would want our skills valued ( including by our employers ) and a pay rate that reflects that - or otherwise you may as well drive a Tescoes van for the money some companies pay , K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

It is my point - I wouldn't want a medal for what We do but I would want our skills valued ( including by our employers ) and a pay rate that reflects that - or otherwise you may as well drive a Tescoes van for the money some companies pay , K

I'm not sure that the money is everything.. Most people I know in the industry are there because they want to be and don't want to work indoors or drive all day for a living...

In reply to Mick

Me! At work, I think I'm sufficiently compensated for my labour, bearing in mind the economics of tree work in this locality and the local cost of living. If I was doing the same job in London, for example I'd expect a higher level.

In my own work, my rates are a lot higher- but I'm SE, pay my own heads and costs.

Maybe I'm lucky ( or realistic) but I'm content.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

150 squid a day for a climber who provides all his own kit is laughable! Go lads, see what type of mortgage you get in today's day and age with that tuppence, especially here in Kent.

Just look around how many climbing jobs can't be filled, it's no longer worth it, a chippy can charge up to 250 a day for working in a warm house with his radio going and minimal kit. Our industry has been left behind.

• Thanks 1

If the climbing jobs can't be filled it's because most accomplished climbers soon realise that the only way to make any money on the tools in this job is to get the work yourself, so they set out on their own.

Exactly, that however proves that there is an issue with regards to pay.

1 hour ago, SWORDSTA said:

150 squid a day for a climber who provides all his own kit is laughable! Go lads, see what type of mortgage you get in today's day and age with that tuppence, especially here in Kent.

Just look around how many climbing jobs can't be filled, it's no longer worth it, a chippy can charge up to 250 a day for working in a warm house with his radio going and minimal kit. Our industry has been left behind.

£150 a day for a jobbing Arborist isn't a bad scratch

46 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

If the climbing jobs can't be filled it's because most accomplished climbers soon realise that the only way to make any money on the tools in this job is to get the work yourself, so they set out on their own.

Seeing the finances of big companies very few are earning a killing as the reinvestment and growth is expensive. Grass is always greener and I see that the effort V reward of running your own business whilst there takes another level of hard work.

1 hour ago, SWORDSTA said:

£150 a day isn't a bad scratch for a jobbing Arborist.

jobbing chippy/Plasterer's etc charge similar.

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There is no issue, it's a free market economy, if the contractor wants a decent climber he'll have to pay the going rate.

if he won't, it won't get done, but it always does.

And there lies the crux of the situation.

We compete in the commercial sector and its brutal, I honestly don't see how they do it, the figures don't make sense to me.

• Like 1