Stopped by VOSA

steve@black

6 minutes ago, gdh said:

I think the licences are fine for tractors, you've got to start at some age and every young driver I've met has been driving for years offroad anyway.

I think the way to go is testing tractors to allow them to go faster which is basically happening next year anyway. 

The irony is most tractors now that do 30mph with 15tons behind will outstop old tractors doing 20 and alot of lorries and cars on the road.

Regarding vosa I can see why they prosecute for intent but I can't see it standing up in court if you pushed it, it would be interesting to see them try though :)

The problem is in our area they don't stop just plough on through and they are significantly larger than several years ago so a totally different ball game imo .

is that going to be 6-8 week inspections like a hgv?

In short 
outside of 100km you need a taco
i came from kettering and got pulled at birch hanger services which is something 65ks from base.
being honest and knowing if I was dick and caught fibbing I'd only get done on something else I told them, I was going Colchester which is 116 ks

Had I been working at the services or near by I'd be legal, going to Colchester I was not. 
Also had digger and trailer impounded and had to pay for Lowloader to remove 
not a great day 

So if I'm reading this right your saying
That towing a trailer with plant on it over 100km radius from your place of business your vehicle needs a tacho?
Does this apply to any vehicle pickup transit etc?
Does this apply to chippers as well?
If it is the case
Can anyone post a link to government website that states this?

Regards Neil

1 hour ago, beechwood said:

So if I'm reading this right your saying
That towing a trailer with plant on it over 100km radius from your place of business your vehicle needs a tacho?
Does this apply to any vehicle pickup transit etc?
Does this apply to chippers as well?
If it is the case
Can anyone post a link to government website that states this?

Regards Neil

Yes

Yes any vehicle or combination that exceeds 3.5 tonne gross weight

Yes including chippers

All except those exempt vehicles in:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hours-goods-vehicles/1-eu-and-aetr-rules-on-drivers-hours#exemptions-and-derogations

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Philip Anderson said:

The problem is in our area they don't stop just plough on through and they are significantly larger than several years ago so a totally different ball game imo .

is that going to be 6-8 week inspections like a hgv?

Yes I know what you mean, some tractors aren't built for high speeds and a few people could do with slowing down going through villages. 

The tests are still being debated but last I heard was 'fast' tractors will be 4 years from new then every 2 years. 

Yes

Yes any vehicle or combination that exceeds 3.5 tonne gross weight

Yes including chippers

All except those exempt vehicles in:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hours-goods-vehicles/1-eu-and-aetr-rules-on-drivers-hours#exemptions-and-derogations

Thanks for this, interesting reading.
Sounds like a good justification for not taking on work outside a 100km radius.
In fairness doesn't happen very often but when it does you can always see the lads faces drop at the thought of a 1.5-2hr drive to site, a day's work and a 1.5-2hr drive back.

I wonder how driving hours effects those who drive a 7.5t lorry the site, then do a full day's work and then drive back. Will they not be over their tacho hours in 3-4 days? (dependent on the length of day on site)

Regards Neil

I'm going for this exception as we was going to a fallen tree, 

could have been a squirrel trapped in there 

Vehicles, including vehicles used in the non-commercial transport of humanitarian aid, used in emergencies or rescue operations.

The EU rules do not define an ‘emergency’ but we consider this would certainly include any of the situations that would be considered an emergency for the purposes of the GB domestic drivers’ hours legislation, namely a situation where immediate preventative action is needed to avoid:

• danger to the life or health of people or animals
  • serious interruption of essential public services (gas, water, electricity or drainage), of telecommunication and postal services, or in the use of roads, railways, ports or airports or
  • serious damage to property

Vehicles used in connection with emergency or rescue operations would be exempt from the EU rules for the duration of the emergency.

The important aspect of humanitarian aid is that it only applies to transport carried out on a non-commercial basis e.g. transportation of donated clothes, food parcels etc. The aid supplied must however be in direct response to an emergency or rescue operation.

1 hour ago, beechwood said:

Thanks for this, interesting reading.
Sounds like a good justification for not taking on work outside a 100km radius.
In fairness doesn't happen very often but when it does you can always see the lads faces drop at the thought of a 1.5-2hr drive to site, a day's work and a 1.5-2hr drive back.

I wonder how driving hours effects those who drive a 7.5t lorry the site, then do a full day's work and then drive back. Will they not be over their tacho hours in 3-4 days? (dependent on the length of day on site)

Regards Neil

Assuming that your blokes are on the books, do you do a short day or pay the extra hours for travelling?

• Like 1