Stopped by VOSA

steve@black

1 hour ago, roseyweb said:

In short 

outside of 100km you need a taco

i came from kettering and got pulled at birch hanger services which is something 65ks from base.

being honest and knowing if I was dick and caught fibbing I'd only get done on something else I told them, I was going Colchester which is 116 ks

Had I been working at the services or near by I'd be legal, going to Colchester I was not. 

Also had digger and trailer impounded and had to pay for Lowloader to remove 

not a great day 

Were they concerned about the weight of the digger, I presume it's a bit heavy ? 

1 hour ago, roseyweb said:

With the marking if you have a olicence you have traffic lights to the point where if your in the red you basically get stopped each time, 

you get a marker for failing a hgv mot 

You can earn browny points now with a prior accreditation system.

Just a warning to all. I hired a crusher to a vosa guy the other day, and got chatting about his job.

They are pro actively clamping down on the use  of tractors and trailers, and indeed unimog that are being used with no o licence and running on red diesel. This combination can only be used to travel between your own land and fields. Hauling logs back to your yard, moving diggers etc is all now being stopped. Watch out!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Just a warning to all. I hired a crusher to a vosa guy the other day, and got chatting about his job.

They are pro actively clamping down on the use  of tractors and trailers, and indeed unimog that are being used with no o licence and running on red diesel. This combination can only be used to travel between your own land and fields. Hauling logs back to your yard, moving diggers etc is all now being stopped. Watch out!!

I think personally it's long overdue a look at the whole Agricultural concession vehicles wise ,no compulsory inspection regime on a fastrac and 20 ton trailer like we get here in east anglia seems crazy with young drivers aswell normally on their phones doing 16 hour driving days during harvest is a recipe for disaster.

I had a marker on a 7.5 tonnes that was presented for mot after some brake work by the main iveco agent .The rear brake pipe burst under test so not my fault but that was that vehicle marked ,a few weeks later vosa turned up in our yard to inspect the chipper .

• Like 2

I think personally it's long overdue a look at the whole Agricultural concession vehicles wise ,no compulsory inspection regime on a fastrac and 20 ton trailer like we get here in east anglia seems crazy with young drivers aswell normally on their phones doing 16 hour driving days during harvest is a recipe for disaster.
I had a marker on a 7.5 tonnes that was presented for mot after some brake work by the main iveco agent .The rear brake pipe burst under test so not my fault but that was that vehicle marked ,a few weeks later vosa turned up in our yard to inspect the chipper .

Yes, young lads in massive tractors not a good mix, I've heard of 3 people killed by tractor collisions this year, I'm very anti regulation but can see that these laws were brought in when Massey 35 s were trundling along at 14mph need an overhaul.

14 minutes ago, john p said:

Yes, young lads in massive tractors not a good mix, I've heard of 3 people killed by tractor collisions this year, I'm very anti regulation but can see that these laws were brought in when Massey 35 s were trundling along at 14mph need an overhaul.

We had one a while back in Norfolk police and crime commissioners son drove straight over a poor woman in a people carrier traces of cocaine in his system and he appealed his sentence and lost rightly ,her poor son sitting beside her escaped but witnessed everything.

40 minutes ago, john p said:

Wise words.  I remember being 18 years old with a 115hp JD towing a 10-ton corn trailer along A roads and wondering how I was able to do it on the same licence I'd got pootling round Eastbourne for half an hour in a Maestro!

I think the licences are fine for tractors, you've got to start at some age and every young driver I've met has been driving for years offroad anyway.

I think the way to go is testing tractors to allow them to go faster which is basically happening next year anyway. 

The irony is most tractors now that do 30mph with 15tons behind will outstop old tractors doing 20 and alot of lorries and cars on the road.

Regarding vosa I can see why they prosecute for intent but I can't see it standing up in court if you pushed it, it would be interesting to see them try though :)