Stopped by VOSA

steve@black

One of my lads this week was stopped by VOSA on a major road , it took him quite a while to pull over because he didn't have a clue who the orange lights behind him were which infuriated Mr VOSA man . The faults found were the plates didn't match (both company plates) and break away cable missing . Both of them problems could have been sorted before they left the yard which hands up for that . My lad stood his ground with mr angry VOSA man who was saying the trailer was overloaded (1 X kubota 3680 on 3.5 ton plant trailer) and was looking for fault which he did not find . This ended with no endorsements or fines but angry Mr VOSA man saying he was putting a marker on both the plate on the trailer (my old logging truck) and our transit . Can this guy do this and can I expect to be stopped every two minutes or is this harassment ?

• Like 1

My first reaction was obviously based on old knowledge because it used to be that only Police had the power to stop a moving vehicle, which is why they regularly assisted other agencies; the others didn't have powers to do that themselves.  But it seems I'm wrong; VOSA do have the power to stop vehicles but I think it's a bad move.  Amber lights appear on a host of vehicles, as your guy is plainly well aware, and what are VOSA going to do about it if their target doesn't stop?!

I can think of two ways a 'marker' could be placed.  Firstly on an inhouse VOSA (DVSA now I believe) system or more likely on the Police National Computer, information from which is available in varying content to many agencies.

An inhouse thing would only be available to VOSA personnel, a PNC Information report would be much more widely available, i.e. to anyone reasonably requiring the info in respect of either number plate.  But access isn't as wide as my text may make you think; it is controlled closely.

But I also sniff a bit of professional BS by Mr VOSA.  PNC markers because of mismatching plates, both registered to the same company?  I don't think so; not really proportionate use of the PNC.

If you're that fussed try going to a Police Station in a few days with plenty of paperwork re you, the company, the vehicles (V5 for the truck) and ask if there are Information Reports on PNC re either plate.  The person on the desk may well not know whether they can tell you anything so ask for a supervising officer.  Be patient, be polite but firm!

I found this; it may help.

VOSA info.doc

1 hour ago, Toxteth O,Grady said:

One of my lads this week was stopped by VOSA on a major road , it took him quite a while to pull over because he didn't have a clue who the orange lights behind him were which infuriated Mr VOSA man . The faults found were the plates didn't match (both company plates) and break away cable missing . Both of them problems could have been sorted before they left the yard which hands up for that . My lad stood his ground with mr angry VOSA man who was saying the trailer was overloaded (1 X kubota 3680 on 3.5 ton plant trailer) and was looking for fault which he did not find . This ended with no endorsements or fines but angry Mr VOSA man saying he was putting a marker on both the plate on the trailer (my old logging truck) and our transit . Can this guy do this and can I expect to be stopped every two minutes or is this harassment ?

You were lucky it was just a Vosa bod, if you get plod and Vosa together that would have been a big fine and points for the driver. This is an old post but something that Vosa have a purge on regularly , note the teaspoon of ballast in the back of the transit and the associated fine :)

http://landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topics/surrey-police-target-unsafe-contractor-vehicles?context=category-Vehicles

don't know what he actually meant by 'marking' you...but in my experiece they absolutely will be looking out for you again.  I was pulled over once and was about 600kg overweight.  I was with Andy Collins at the time.  I took on board everything the VOSA guy was saying, asked the right questions to show that I was concerned about not being overloaded again, and was let off with a caution.  He did however tell me that i was now in the system and next time i was overweight I would go immediately to court, no questions.

2 weeks later I was driving along the A14 and they pulled me over again...but they were watching for me, I believe something was triggered by their cameras.  I was approaching a flyover and could see a police car and a vosa car parked on the bridge...the police officer was out of his vehicle and leant into the vosa car having a chat.  Something triggered his system and he went runing back to his car, down the slip road and pulled me over.  I had a level load of beech wood on this time and was 4% over on the front axels.  They allow 5%, so I got lucky.  I learned just how little you can actually carry on a 35.t truck that day.

• Like 1