Best all round processor for all shapes and sizes

chasingmytail

Looking at taking firewood more serious this year.  Attached are photos of the wood we bring in from our farm, contracting jobs etc.  It is all shapes and sizes. Hard & soft. There can be some huge trunks (which I understand needs a cone on an excavator which isnt a problem for us) however most of these processors are around 30-40cm straight. Lots of ours is not straight and has knots etc. Then there is lots of small stuff (branches). This is our current set up which is good but is too slow and costly in labour. Hydraulic manual log splitter.  The plan is for just us to process the wood as paying someone takes away any profit.

Another issue is the bark dust - does using a tumbler keep the boys so much cleaner for the customer so essential?  We've got Excavators with grapples, telehandler, loading shovels etc

Thoughts?

chris September 17 iphone 047.JPG

chris September 17 iphone 048.JPG

chris September 17 iphone 049.JPG

chris September 17 iphone 050.JPG

9 hours ago, chasingmytail said:

Looking at taking firewood more serious this year.  Attached are photos of the wood we bring in from our farm, contracting jobs etc.  It is all shapes and sizes. Hard & soft. There can be some huge trunks (which I understand needs a cone on an excavator which isnt a problem for us) however most of these processors are around 30-40cm straight. Lots of ours is not straight and has knots etc. Then there is lots of small stuff (branches). This is our current set up which is good but is too slow and costly in labour. Hydraulic manual log splitter.  The plan is for just us to process the wood as paying someone takes away any profit.

Another issue is the bark dust - does using a tumbler keep the boys so much cleaner for the customer so essential?  We've got Excavators with grapples, telehandler, loading shovels etc

Thoughts?

chris September 17 iphone 047.JPG

chris September 17 iphone 048.JPG

chris September 17 iphone 049.JPG

chris September 17 iphone 050.JPG

Ive processed a lot of wood like that with my dalen 2054. It has a nice large infeed  area can cut 18inch diameter and is a nice simple machine. Are you looking to buy new or second hand machine? 

The answer to your question is most any processor will handle it.  The issue you have is the wood you are taking back to the yard could be processed a lot better on site ready for firewood processing.

I used to have a hakki pilke 1x37 which would cut up to 15".  I would cord everything neatly, trimming off all stubs, cutting longer lengths at the bends so all I would have would be mostly straight pieces of timber, even if some were only 2ft long.  The splitting bay would take up to 20" so anything above the 15" would be rung into 10" long pieces.

All ads up to slightly more work in the initial stages, but a far more efficient final processing.