How often do you use a mewp?

Marula

We've used mewps regularly,as said before theyre another tool in our box so why not use em if its increases safety,increases productivity and it more ergonomical.

There seems to be a stigma attached to mewps like if you use a mewp your a p00f!

I dont care what skyhuck says we use em when we can.

On 13/09/2017 at 22:03, SWORDSTA said:

As the title goes, how often do you use a mewp? Do you only use it on really dangerous "un-climable" stuff or do you use it if it looks like it can speed a job along?

Nothing fancy here just a snotty  landrover mewp, gets lots of use.

Bob

• Like 1

If a tree was really dangerous I'm not sure I would want it to collapse on my mewp think I'd rather climb it and ride it down like a cowgirl or get a mewp to drop me in from the top from far enough away if it was really likely to crumble 

You need a mewp with reach for jobs like that, the ones we use have a huge reach and are articulated so you're not under the tree in any way.

12 minutes ago, SWORDSTA said:

You need a mewp with reach for jobs like that, the ones we use have a huge reach and are articulated so you're not under the tree in any way.

Crane and then drop in, 

think this bocker had 60m of reach and a bit more with a fly jib then as much drop as you like, fast up and down and you can get 360' around from one location. Was cheap to hire as well, much less than mewp firms

to stop it spinning I used a soft link to attach basket to tree, 

Good day that

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Crane and then drop in, 

think this bocker had 60m of reach and a bit more with a fly jib then as much drop as you like, fast up and down and you can get 360' around from one location. Was cheap to hire as well, much less than mewp firms

to stop it spinning I used a soft link to attach basket to tree, 

Good day that

image.thumb.jpeg.5adaa28e79ddf53652b947a9481e83eb.jpeg

[emoji1360]Good going, very good thinking. How was that cheaper than a truck mounted 70m articulated platform though? What do they hire for in your area? Also didn't that swing around every time it was manoeuvred into a new position?

3 hours ago, Philip Anderson said:

I wouldn't put an experienced mewp operator who wasn't a climber in a mewp to prune a tree you need both .

Both disciplines are skills to be built up over time .

You don't need to know how to climb to do tree work from a MEWP.  There are plenty of MEWP users who will have never or rarely climbed.  

• Like 1