How often do you use a mewp?

Marula

What's a good size MEWP for tree works? At auctions I often see 13-15m ones and for a few minutes think 'these would be great' but they decided against it. 15m is going to be a bit limiting???

That's the main downfall of a mewp in treework, you always seem to want one with a few more metres in height or outreach. I seem to remember somebody on here had a Leo 23m which seemed to be the best in terms of cost, height and outreach. The firm I work for has a small tracked machine and works for some jobs but is often too small for others.

What's a good size MEWP for tree works? At auctions I often see 13-15m ones and for a few minutes think 'these would be great' but they decided against it. 15m is going to be a bit limiting???

That's the main downfall of a mewp in treework, you always seem to want one with a few more metres in height or outreach. I seem to remember somebody on here had a Leo 23m which seemed to be the best in terms of cost, height and outreach. The firm I work for has a small tracked machine and works for some jobs but is often too small for others.

That's not limited to MEWPs imho. Chippers, 360's, tractors, winches. Avoiding the obvious dick joke, whatever you've got you always want a bigger one!

• Like 1

I feel the same about it, I just think 15m is not high enough to do what will most likely be required, reach is also the other big factor, if it can't reach out leaving the ground area clear then it just becomes an issue.

Leo 23m looks like a good unit. Tricky though as these size MEWPs onwards are getting pretty big and heavy. If it can't go behind a 3.5t tow'er it opens a new can of worms. Certainly wouldn't work for me.

Think the Leo 23m can go on a bespoke trailer and still be towed as a 3.5t unit from memory the leo30 is far bigger and weighs about 5t on its own

Of course MEWPS are better on some jobs ,but ....do they save what they cost ?     eg  if you hire one in and it is say £200 for a day and a certified operator is required ( training required )  and it only saves a half day of climbing then it is not really cost effective is it .....owning one has considerable costs also  , and it is up to the individual to determine / analyse costs for each job .