How often do you use a mewp?

Marula

One our the companies I sub to owns a pretty decent mewp so it gets used when its convenient. It's usually down to the climber if it gets used or not. It can make life easier if not quicker sometimes.

Recently did a job trimming small shrubs where it was insisted on as the site safety officer wanted proof of "ladder training"! Bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Doing a big tree can be a bit like doing a hedge off steps though it's quicker to surf it than keep repositioning, small/medium prunes ,RJs fells and big trunk dicing it's good.
If I had skyhucks hiab trailer I would not want a mewp either though.

Its it good for reductions? [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

It will always divide opinion, and think it's  based on what work you find yourself doing.

we are in the fortunate position of owning a mewp, and crane..

i don't think it's a macho comment, just my experience and of those I work with who climb daily that climbing is both easier, quicker, more importantly safer than using a mewp, also it allows us to achieve the required specification.

again this is based on us and our work. I have worked for those that frequently use mewps it works well for them so do not judge how others on how they choose to work.

we are all here to work safely and hopefully have long and profitable careers.

i think we all to often try to compare ourselves to others.

Edited by Marc

41 minutes ago, Marc said:

It will always divide opinion, and think it's  based on what work you find yourself doing.

we are in the fortunate position of owning a mewp, and crane..

i think we all to often try to compare ourselves to others.

I think that's sort of the point, I sometimes look at the way other guys do their work (usually the ones who I believe are doing the same sort of work as me) on here and think "that's clever/more efficient than what I'm doing" and I copy it or buy the thing they're using.

• Like 1

I've been fortunate to use very large mewps often on everything from a prune to big crane jobs. As a climber too I can say that a proficient man in the bucket will have a tree down in half the time any climber can. The issue with hiring for the day is it takes time to get used to the controls, positioning the machine correctly, what angle to work from the bucket etc, so hire versus a daily climber I'd say the climber would be quicker, like everything however if you do it everyday you'll be efficient.