Lo pro 3/8" vs standard 3/8"

beechhunter

Hi all just ordered a new bar and chain. The chain is a 3/8" lo pro .050 and my original chain is 3/8"  .063 can I run them on the same drive sprocket? I have read various thing and they seem conflicting the pitch is the same but the gauge isn't some say yes others say no just wondering if anyone had any advice many thanks Patrick. 

Was that from us? Did you get the lo pro chain drive rim that fits on a ST internal spline?

From research and experience:

• You can drive 3/8 lo pro and 3/8 standard off a standard 3/8 drive rim and not really too much of an issue
  • You cannot drive a 3/8 lo pro chain off a 3/8 standard SPUR style sprocket
  • You cannot drive a 3/8 standard chain off a 3/8 lo pro drive rim

Hope that answers... The Stihl PMX ripping chain seems to do a grand job of milling and is preferred choice on all bars up to and including 42".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stubby said:

A .063 gauge driver wont fit in the bar groove if it is .050 .  Conversely a driver that is .050 would wobble/rock  from side to side in a .063 wide bar groove irregardless of pitch . 

Spec Saver moment there mate :001_tongue:  Beechhunter has matching bar and chain it's just the sprocket he's worried about.

Presumably if the sprocket was a spur sprocket that wouldn't work,  unless it was practically new,  as any wear would try to guide the new chain in a bad way?  But as it's a rim sprocket it will shift itself to centralise on the chain run. Think I'd run a new rim in any case for the money involved,  keep the rims matched to the specific chain gauge.....

10 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Spec Saver moment there mate :001_tongue:  Beechhunter has matching bar and chain it's just the sprocket he's worried about.

Yes . Sorry . I realized that when I saw the other replies . You have to make allowances for us oldies .

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Yes . Sorry . I realized that when I saw the other replies . You have to make allowances for us oldies .

Steady. ....   expected some authoritive put down not an apology 9_9  The thing is, there is much to learn from those that have 'been there,  done that'. Unfortunately, i have the age bit but not the other :/ ..... 

3 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Steady. ....   expected some authoritive put down not an apology 9_9  The thing is, there is much to learn from those that have 'been there,  done that'. Unfortunately, i have the age bit but not the other :/ ..... 

Alas I also rarely get " the other " any more .............