110 v 130

Shaun@MTG

i think live export cattle and sheep have more room and comfort than land rover drivers!! that said great offroad tow well, the 130 seems to be more stable when towing than the 110.  the work 130 single cab tipper capacity is ok  and seems to have a nice light footprint even when fully loaded which is great when on lawns.

carl

130 all the way for a tipper. 

Get a td5 or a puma engined one, whichever you prefer, as both of these engines are perfectly capable on long drives/motorways!

unfortunatley it will need more maintenance and use a bit more fuel than a regular tipper.

They are of course less comfortable than all the other vans and pick ups, unless you are like me and find the seating position in most other things uncomfortable, but they are perfectly adequate. I have towed 800 miles in a day in my current 110, drove my tipper to Scotland twice, last summer I did 320 miles without stopping at all and did 2000 miles in a week.  Oh yes, I'm 6foot 5 and large, so that's another myth(provided you fit a smaller steering wheel)!

• Like 1

Andy you sound like one of those weirdos who runs a Landrover for practical reasons, rather than someone who just wants a Landrover.

I don't think anyone buys a Landy for fun if they do they need their head testing. Buy a jap 4x4 far superior says me who's had his fair share of landys and the joy of ownership [emoji37]
  • Like 1

Don't listen to all the Landy negativity- they are built to do a job and not much will touch them for off road capability- and running gear is built for heavy towing, I can't say the same for many (not all) of the Jap equivalents) Iv never had reliability issues either in 8 years of owning mine- but it was a good-un.

Id go for a 130 if I was you- you get 3500kg gvw and should have enough room for a storage box between cab and tipper- plus perhaps a roof box?

130s are no longer than most Jap pickups.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, william127 said:

130 all the way for a tipper. 

Get a td5 or a puma engined one, whichever you prefer, as both of these engines are perfectly capable on long drives/motorways!

unfortunatley it will need more maintenance and use a bit more fuel than a regular tipper.

They are of course less comfortable than all the other vans and pick ups, unless you are like me and find the seating position in most other things uncomfortable, but they are perfectly adequate. I have towed 800 miles in a day in my current 110, drove my tipper to Scotland twice, last summer I did 320 miles without stopping at all and did 2000 miles in a week.  Oh yes, I'm 6foot 5 and large, so that's another myth(provided you fit a smaller steering wheel)!

I agree on this, don't get me wrong there is nothing sophisticated in the slightest about a Landy on the motorway- but I get a much worse back in my wife's Golf than in my defender- I like the upright position and find it has good visibility compared to other pickups

Don't listen to all the Landy negativity- they are built to do a job and not much will touch them for off road capability- and running gear is built for heavy towing, I can't say the same for many (not all) of the Jap equivalents) Iv never had reliability issues either in 8 years of owning mine- but it was a good-un.
Id go for a 130 if I was you- you get 3500kg gvw and should have enough room for a storage box between cab and tipper- plus perhaps a roof box?
130s are no longer than most Jap pickups.

I'm not trying to be negative I run a 130 tipper everyday and it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's perfect for the area I work as it can get across even the roughest fields and mud.
I've always owned defenders and love them despite their shortcomings. If you are running around town or mainly on tarmac there's no need for one I'd run a transit and have done in the past.
I don't think you can beat jap reliability and build quality though I'm thinking more land cruisers and hiluxs and not the newer stuff.
If I can chip on site I'd take my L200 everyday over the Landy just for comfort and a working heater [emoji12]
  • Like 1

My 130 is about to have the Foley cab extension for a little extra room without loosing too much loadspace.
I've got air springs on the rear and it's got blue poly bushes all round.
Sitting on its winter/woodland tyres now - BFG MT K2's and the steering is ok. The ride is good, the payload massive and it never gets upset when rowing a heavy trailer.

• Like 1