Apple cord pricing

Acer Forestry

We didn't get as far as how the tonnage would be dispensed Mark, he has a telehandler but that's not much good for as you say, short sticks. So loading could be a bit of a headache, to say the least. £25 it is, at best. Handy to know what i should offer as a local vineyard has a fair few tons of apple that may be available, too

Every situation is different mate, let me know how you get on.

Years ago I took on a whole orchard at Chart Sutton, just grubbed, not cut, for nothing.

I did everything manually.

Realistically I must have made less than nothing.

I really rate apple as firewood, but as you said it's not the easiest to process.

Yes, I would have said £25 per ton max. It's in short lengths, been lying on the grass for a year, will be difficult to load/unload and then consider how you are going to process it.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. A builder mate of a mate was developing a very large back garden of an old house and had had a tree surgeon in to fell a load of trees. They were all cut to 1m to 1.5m and dotted around the site in piles. Good mix of hard and soft but he wanted top dollar. Even when we explained for what he wanted we usually got the timber delivered to the yard for that price and in 3m lengths so much easier for us to handle and process. We offered £25 a ton as we were going to have to load it into 30 cubic metre skips, about 7 ton at a time, tip it out in the yard, stack with the crane, and then when process move pins on the trailer so we could load it and adjust the log deck so they would fit. All more work which equals more time which makes it more expensive!

Make a low offer, if they don't take it you've lost nothing.

i recently bought 10 tons of hornbeam for just  £15/ton because it needed extracting up a steep hill and along a bridleway with a quad bike and trailer. As it happens I came up with a very good system for getting the wood out so it ended up being very cheap wood. Had it been harder/slower I would still have been ok because the wood was cheap.