daltontrees

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, scbk said:

Can you not get hold of some nice larch or creosote posts locally? Would last as long as plastic!

Do you reckon? I've got to buld the posts into the brickwork, and I really don't have a feel for how long wood would last in that situation. I'm just worried that if I get it wrong I will have no way of replacing wooden posts.

I tried to get larch for a fencing job 8 years ago, and the loc fencing supplier just looked at me blankly, then said he couldn't giarantee what wood his posts were. I gave up because luckily I had just felled a load of beautifully straight Lawsons for a client and used that after soaking its feet in thinned bitumen paint for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, daltontrees said:

Do you reckon? I've got to buld the posts into the brickwork, and I really don't have a feel for how long wood would last in that situation. I'm just worried that if I get it wrong I will have no way of replacing wooden posts.

I tried to get larch for a fencing job 8 years ago, and the loc fencing supplier just looked at me blankly, then said he couldn't giarantee what wood his posts were. I gave up because luckily I had just felled a load of beautifully straight Lawsons for a client and used that after soaking its feet in thinned bitumen paint for a few weeks.

A lot of the old fenceposts were larch, and are still standing 30/40 years on, and that's 3" square posts.

Maybe try a proper sawmill rather than a fencing yard, or maybe look up Octoposts

https://www.daviesimplementsltd.co.uk/product/creosote-posts/

8 hours ago, scbk said:

A lot of the old fenceposts were larch, and are still standing 30/40 years on, and that's 3" square posts.

Maybe try a proper sawmill rather than a fencing yard, or maybe look up Octoposts

https://www.daviesimplementsltd.co.uk/product/creosote-posts/

Thanks again. Problem is I only need 6 or 8. I love the idea of the octoposts, and I miss creosote. But you have to buy the 90x90s in bundles of 99.

Local sawmill closed 5 years ago, now a Dobbies garden centre :-(

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Rotties. I think they were around the 60 kilo mark each last time they were weighed.

they're just a couple of big lap dogs. Busa..  He's a wee bit bigger now9_99_9

IMG_4933.JPG

Aye well you'll need something meaner than them to look after you when you come up north. We are living on the set of Trainspotting up here.

Joking, of course.