Kombi Purchase

jamez654

A used km 56 with angled hedge cutter is the best tool I have bought got it several years ago and it's been faultless on basic garden duty my dad now uses it for strimming instead of his Honda, it has a metal blade 2 arm thing and nylon head, also have the polesaw which is great, have the 1m extension and wouldn't want to use more than one extension pole.....

use normal stihl red oil and Stihl grease on the cutter gearbox had it sharpened and might treat it to a plug a new air filter some time oil filter gets very oily but that's normal.

just follow the starting process and I recommend a full helmet 

Edited by HDAV

I've had the KM90-R with an adjustable hedge cutter and strimmer attachments for about 8 or 9 years now. It's probably the toughest tool I've got in terms of reliability given the amount of work it's done, mainly hedge cutting but also a fair bit of strimming. Always starts pretty much first time, even after being laid up over the winter for a few months.

I've used a metal mowing/brush cutting blade a few times. It works but probably this engine is a little under powered for it to be honest. One extension is quite manageable for vertical hedge work, you could probably use two at a push as long as you don't lower it too much. Horizontal work, (really wide hedges), were a struggle with just the one extension though. 

I always thought the KM90 was a 4-Mix engine until I read this thread and then checked up on it. Feeling slightly sheepish now! 

On 22/09/2017 at 18:29, Tomtop said:

Have to try 3 extensions, make for a fun afternoon emoji12.png

That's nuts.... must have a fair bend on by the cutter......I'm not sure my little 56 would cope with 2 let alone 3....... 

do do you run any of the smaller engines or just the biggest ones?