BishBashBosh

51 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

19 hours ago, GardenKit said:

The TBC2390 does indeed exist, I buy them by the pallet load. Although the Japanese designation is the TCG-24ECP, all models for the UK are labelled in the more logical format of TBC 2390 (Tanaka Brush Cutter 23.9cc)

... Max revs will be controlled by the load, and therefore vary with the type of cutting attachment fitted, as well as diameter and length of cord, so is impossible to state on any brush cutter.

- Fascinating, and confusing! Mine is labelled 24 Lightweight on the engine, the box still has tape on it from FGM Claymore so I'm assuming its a genuine import? It weighs the same as your's anyway :D

- I can't agree with your rpm reasoning GK. I've a number of manuals which state the rpm and conditions which apply. Usually its given for the line head, and specifies the head model, length of line, or requires the guard and line cutter to be fitted.

Eg: Echo 222ES Nylon line G138 180 *4 with shield :9000 - 10000rpm

51 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

Having checked the weight of the TBC2390 today, on some very accurate scales I agree with Bish's weight of 4.7kg. This is indeed a far cry from the stated 3.9kg in sales literature and the 4.1 kg in the operator book. But to be fair, it is still a nice, light and well balanced machine.

I stated in the earlier post that the TCG 27 was a totally different machine and could not be compared to the TBC2390 (AKA TCG24ECP(SL). My statement was a little bit wrong as well as being a little bit right!

It appears that there is another version of the TBC2390 (TCG24ECP) known as the TCG27ECP. However, this lightweight 27cc machine is not available on the UK market.

The 27cc machine that is available in the UK is the TCG27EBS(SL) which, as I stated is a totally different beast.

If you think these numbers are confusing, try being a dealer

I think I'm even more confused.O.o  I do agree it's still a relatively light and well balanced machine. I found some crud partially blocking the carb intake (over moulding/swarf from the filter body) and she seems to have a bit more pep with it removed.

My earlier " it's hard to recommend " comment comes down to two things. The lack of dealers and stock means many people will be buying without handling the product and secondly the documentation and specs are poor and unreliable.

That's not a great combination, and if you're one of the lesser players you need to be providing better information than the big boys.

It's a very low cost exercise. Get the specs right, consolidate the model designation, write useful model specific manuals and get a few videos on YouTube.  Lastly switch that switch for a nice momentary off job.:P

2 hours ago, BishBashBosh said:

My earlier " it's hard to recommend " comment comes down to two things. The lack of dealers and stock means many people will be buying without handling the product and secondly the documentation and specs are poor and unreliable.

That's not a great combination, and if you're one of the lesser players you need to be providing better information than the big boys.

It's a very low cost exercise. Get the specs right, consolidate the model designation, write useful model specific manuals and get a few videos on YouTube.  Lastly switch that switch for a nice momentary off job.:P

There are a lot more dealers around than you may think Bish, but maybe not in your area, and all those who have bought from me have had hands on the product before parting with their cash. Have to agree that the documentation is a bit basic and model designations are lately confusing and not following a standard format, but that does not stop the machine itself from being brilliant. 

And, lets face it, the quality of the book does not really matter anyway, I will bet that 90% of the people who have bought from me have never even opened the instruction book!

I have sold many thousand Tanaka machines over 28 years and have built the hand held side of my business 95% on Tanaka. It has proved ultra reliable, with a very low warranty rate and a very happy and loyal customer base. If I had my time over again I would change some of the things I have sold, but would stick solidly with Tanaka.

I reckon your 2390 will grow on you and you will come to love it, especially as the performance increases over the first few uses. Keep us informed, good or bad. 

20 hours ago, GardenKit said:

...I reckon your 2390 will grow on you and you will come to love it, especially as the performance increases over the first few uses. Keep us informed, good or bad. 

There's much to like, I was just pointing out some of the areas which imo fell short.

For balance I'll add that:

-it's easy starting,

-the supplied line head follows the Oregon pattern, so it's easy to load and has easily replaced line guides

-Quiet. Overall levels and also the pitch make it less intrusive than many

-The castings look very well executed (Mag rotor, head gear case)

-A quick peek down the plug'ole showed a very cleanly machined exhaust port

-The shade of Orange is very pleasing :151:

I'm expecting this little machine to do just fine. I'll update once it's had a proper thrashing.

Ref the manuals: I come from a technical background where you'd get a kickin' for presenting any documentation like that from Tanaka. I appreciate it's only a 2 -smoke (sic) weedwacker, but the basics could be covered on a single piece of A4, I can see some owners not familiar with garden machinery installing cutting implements incorrectly, or discovering the larger TCG27's not compatible with the TPH-200 hedgecutter (26cc max iaw the supplied manual). Details, but it's not hard to get them right.