Removing Dogwood hedge

carsmarco252

Will a week be long enough? 

I don't know, would sufficient concentration get into the roots before the above ground growth was removed?

The longer the better really but it needs a week minimum. The absolute best would be to cut it down and allow to regrow and spray when it's growing hard. But it's wether the client is prepared to wait that long.

:thumbup1:

Or, if the OP is on site regularly, replant and then treat any regrowth that appears. 

I suppose that as long as the client knows the limitations/timescales and probability of the requirement for further treatment, depending on what's done, you don't look foolish if new growth pops up.

Edited by Gary Prentice

the idea of spraying the whole hedge with a knapsack and glyphosate seems sensible - if it was in the spring or summer the idea of cutting to near ground first and then spraying would have been ideal, may not sprout much now into sept. I would say 2 to 3 weeks after spraying all the leaf area has a good chance of wiping it out - i use a commercial wetting agent (adjuvant) from ag supplier (not just fairy liquid) and sometimes add 2,4D (depitox ) etc to the glyphosate for difficult stuff. ...

if  you do try spraying the whole hedge off 2 to 3 weeks before cutting down it would need to be soon - i guess abscission leaf fall is going to start with them soon so the poison may not be as effective - spraying the whole hedge use tarps maybe on a still day if you need to save grass

Edited by tree-fancier123

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a stronger dose of glyphosate will do a better job. It could kill top growth so fast that it cannot be translocated all the way to the roots. Use the recommended dose and as others have said it is late in the season to be very effective. I would contact an agronomist for advice first.