024 problems

chuck norris

I have am having some issues with my 024. my friend gave it to me as he could not get it to start, I assumed it was a carb/fuel pipe issue as it would give a few rumbles if fuel is poured directly into carb. But after replacing the fuel pipe, impulse line, fuel filter, air filter and carb, I still cant get it to start.

Any one have any tips/advice?

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Do you get a spark?
Do you get fuel ?
Any compression?

These are the old school checks and very reliable, you can check the front of the piston through the exhaust port or just lift the saw by the recoil starter and see if it holds for 2-4 seconds at TDC on each compression stroke.

Spark is checked by earthing the plug on the cylinder and pulling the saw over fast. Fuel is checked by pulling the saw 10 times with the choke on and seeing if the plug is damp after this.

The most likely issue is with the metering arm being set a little low or the diaphragm going a bit hard. It is very possible that the piston may have seized or partially nipped up. Coils tend to be pretty reliable.

1 hour ago, chuck norris said:

I have tested, and the spark plug is bone dry, any ideas what is causing this or how I can fix it

Spud has more or less taken you through the things to start with in a saw that is NOT in front of anyone who is giving advice. This is always the iffy part as things often dont get mentioned in recounting the problems. 

So further to that..lets take it that you have a spark that is ok and its looking that NO fuel is something to get sorted before anything else. The choke flap ...IS it being activated when the filter IS in place? You changed the carb ? is it new? or 2nd hand ? 

Have you set it up to basic settings on the L and H ? if so What?

You changed the fuel line and impulse line ..was it a genuine fuel line ? is it bent tight on its way to the carb ? SOMETIMES...the non genuine ones close up if in a tight bend. Is the impulse line on the nipple from the cylinder after you put the saw back together? 

Thats a list for you to go through and see where your at before you open up other things. 

Edited by Sawchip

2 hours ago, chuck norris said:

I have tested, and the spark plug is bone dry, any ideas what is causing this or how I can fix it

What is causing the plug to be bone dry is no fuel ! What is causing there to be no fuel needs investigating . Start in the tank . Check the tank breather is clear . , check the fuel pickup pipe is in place and in good condition and that the filter on the end is clean . Next stop is the carb .......Over to Spud !

Edited by Stubby