Stihl 046

gary112

I think the 046 would kill a .325 chain. Way too much power.

awesome saw, never been bettered imho

Hear what your saying. It's listed as a 440 part though and not a huge difference between 440 and 460. I run my 48'' doubled ended Alaskan on.325 and not snapped a chain yet

Sent from my SM-G390F using Arbtalk mobile app

Your mill will not abuse chain like normal use. .325 will stretch & possibly break chain regularly. 
I did try a 440 on .325 years ago in the woods. Predictable result of destruction. Glad to hear it does work well on the mill - much stretch?

Well probably a good stretch yes! But after initial stretch all good. When I bought the mill it was on .325 running 2 660s on 9 pins.when I get through the chains I have I'll give 404 a shot.

Well probably a good stretch yes! But after initial stretch all good. When I bought the mill it was on .325 running 2 660s on 9 pins.when I get through the chains I have I'll give 404 a shot.

Love to see that rip. Sounds ridiculously fast.
How long have you been running that set up?
What's the bar?

Really? What powerheads?
What make of bar?

Cannon. Have run 2 660s on it with spacers. More recently a 084 and 076. Just got an 880 to go with the 084 but not tried yet.

Bought it off ed Robinson who lives near me ( think he first bought cannon bars to uk?) Was setup on 325 with a 9pin on a 660. Also got a dead saw to go on the other end for solo milling which acts as a oiler sprocket

• Like 1

Cannon. Have run 2 660s on it with spacers. More recently a 084 and 076. Just got an 880 to go with the 084 but not tried yet.

Bought it off ed Robinson who lives near me ( think he first bought cannon bars to uk?) Was setup on 325 with a 9pin on a 660. Also got a dead saw to go on the other end for solo milling which acts as a oiler sprocket

Sweet set up Bill.
How is the 84/76 running?
Do you have issues with different rpm?

Sweet set up Bill.
How is the 84/76 running?
Do you have issues with different rpm?

Yes I have now stopped that. Didn't feel good - like the 84 was pushing the rpm of 76 up and over revving it.mostly it was fine and fast just every now and the felt a bit weird .

So looking forward to 84 and 88 next time I m milling.

That cannon bar seems extremely durable

Yes I have now stopped that. Didn't feel good - like the 84 was pushing the rpm of 76 up and over revving it.mostly it was fine and fast just every now and the felt a bit weird .

So looking forward to 84 and 88 next time I m milling.

That cannon bar seems extremely durable

I would think that would be better,
Only 1krpm difference between 084 and 880. Not sure how long the .325 chain will last with that much torque.
Very interested to hear what happens.
Full comp ripping chain I presume?