I want the old Arbtalk back....not the website but the ethos

beechwood

On 05/09/2017 at 19:49, Steve Bullman said:

Thanks for your post Neil :)

I'm not sure the symptoms you describe are any worse now than they have been though to be honest.  Thats the nature of forums unfortunately.  It is frustrating I agree.  Particularly as an admin also.  As soon as things get deleted you get accused of censorship blah blah, so we try to let things run where possible.

With the addition of facebook log-in on the new site I have noticed an increase in the amount of new registrants who are choosing to use their real name rather than a screen name to hide behind.  I am hoping over time this might help change things slightly.....and yes it is very nearly always those with pseudonyms who cause the most trouble.

Yeah, for instance Mark Bolam is always stirring it, whats his real name

• Like 1

I would have to agree. I started on Arbtalk around 13 years ago. I have learned a lot and I mean ALOT on it. From SRT ( Ian Flatters and Adam Bourne) to tree knowledge. But a few of the posters from back in the day have disappeared and been replaced by some less desirable characters. To be fair I have only just got Arbtalk working again on the app so probably that has effected other posters

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, farmer rod said:

But what we want to know is, When are you taking delivery of the22 metre 16WD nuclear retort they are always showing off

Brought one back with me in my hand luggage. I snuck it through the 'nothing to declare' isle while they were frisking an old granny for murray mints.

• Like 1

You're so negative Bullman, this is the problem.

You and your mate MonkeyD.

Fungi expert?

I met him in the the urinals at the Arb Show a few years back.

I swivelled round, shook it, and said 'Identity these fungal bodies then.'

He just mumbled something and left.

Some expert.

I saw him later wrestling John Shutler next to a firepit.

Or that could have been me. Possibly at a different show.

I can't remember exactly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Throughout time mankind has always reminisced about a previous golden era. Has this golden era really existed or is it our memory playing tricks?

Socrates wrote this 2,400 years ago...

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

It's something you could write just now and have people agreeing with.

I don't know if Arbtalk was better in the past. However I think we all know that in ten years time someone will be saying "Arbtalk was so much better ten years ago".