I want the old Arbtalk back....not the website but the ethos

beechwood

I gave it quite a bit of thought before posting this but it's my opinion and I hope some good will come it. So hear goes.

I've found myself trying to avoid Arbtalk for the last year or so but recently, I've been laid up with a broken leg and with time on my hands, I have started to visit the site more often.

I used to enjoy taking 10 or 20 minutes most days to look at the posts.

I found it informative and interesting to see lots of opinions expressed on a wide range of subjects related to the field of Arboriculture and now and again I'd post a comment.

I stopped visiting as often because I found it had become boring, frustrating and at times I found some of the comments to be condescending and intimidating.

It seemed that less and less people were posting comments.

I spoke to a many people in the trade and a common response was 'I go on Arbtalk but I don't post anything'. Most said this was due to the aggressive bullying and intolerant nature of some of its more regular posters. They didn't want to post their opinion just to get shouted down.

It felt like in the past people would disagreed but would general say 'in my opinion x,y,z' and in this way you ended up with a range of opinions and experiences.

As far as I could see 'Arbtalk' had become dominated by a few individuals pontificating and bullying for their own self satisfaction.

It seemed to have become acceptable to effectively shout down anyone with a different opinion to your own and in a lot of cases just pick a verbal fight from behind your smartphone or keyboard.

I don't expect that these people would be brave enough to say the things they did directly to somebody's face and with good reason, as their behaviour was unacceptable.

Perhaps some didn't realise the effect their attitude and tone had on others.

With the arrival of the new website Arbtalk appears to have lost a lot of contributors but I'm glad to say the condescending and intimidating posting seems to have reduced. Maybe a lot of people shared my opinion and having to work out the new website is just a good reason to not bother with Arbtalk anymore.

Sorry if my opinion upsets some but it appears to me that a few have ruined a good forum for the many and I for one would like the old 'Arbtalk' back.

May I suggest that to order to regain the old Arbtalk we...

When responding to something we might not agree with, take time for a simple reread before pressing send, just to check how our comment may come across.

If you have something to contribute to a thread, do it, without fear of what others may say because your experience and/or opinion will help and/or interest someone else.

We cross our fingers that people haven't been put off for good.

Just my opinion

Neil

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Why not post a PM to an administrator naming the culprits with perhaps some examples of what you are talking about? I think the site managers would be grateful to receive this and it would help with the future direction of the site. It is quite possible that the behaviour that you find offensive has gone un noticed simply because the admin are looking at things from a different perspective.. 

It certainly can't do any harm.

• Like 1

I miss the old Arbtalk not the  land of fluffy bunnies with no bottoms that you're reminiscing about, that never really existed.

There were more (knowledgeable) characters and more decent debates/disputes (about the job) a while back, we've lost a few, I see them on other social media stuff like FB and IG.

I hope they work their way back here. 

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

There used to be a few very experience and knowledgable heads on Arbtalk which I used follow. I've lurked for years, occasionally posting in bursts but I've come to notice that there seems to be loads of posters who aren't climbers or even arborists giving people advice nowadays, with those receiving the advice thinking it's coming from an experienced hand when it's not.

I'll hold my hand up as one of those abrasive posters, it is however not meant as abrasive but it's just the way I write. My missus often scolds me for a text message when no malice was meant.

• Like 1

The arb/ forestry  industry is not the natural home of "sensitive " types , and I am sure most do not intend to offend but are perhaps lacking in eloquence of grammar  , also  things written may come across quite differently than the poster intended . I myself am of the old school of tree work  ( I am also old- 56 !!) and chuckled when  a member on here some time ago stated that  he needed all the latest gadgets , ropes , climbing kit etc etc as he needed to earn an income to pay mortgage etc etc  and it could not be done without it .... strange , I managed to pay off mortgage etc years ago using "basic " kit ...polyprop rope , prussik loops , home made spikes   ( no srt ) or £200 helmets and I used to keep my climbing kit in a fertiliser sack when I started  , however I was not offended by his opinion  I just laughed to myself  ... but to be fair my house was only 24K  ( years ago )... Some people just have opinions ,and are free to state them , but they are just that ...opinions ...Does every one on here whilst sharing a truck cab to and fro site have the same opinions on the best way to do a job ,  the best boots ,kit , climbing system  ( as long as it is safe ) etc or do do you fall out  ?   .. A very important part in being in a team is the ability to get on with others . There do seem to be some notable absences from here now though ....

• Like 1