Modified Transaw 8/4/2 splitting knife

Bustergasket

I saw an 8 way knife an the fuelwood open day it looked super, Fuelwood have helped me out, i had an old knife than was to be destined to be the donor for an 8 way, i cut the middle out and Fuelwood very kindly welded the knives in place, i have done a slight tweek to the lower part just to get it to do even 4 way splits, the little shark fin on the bottom is working really well, i have included a pic of the old 6 way for ref, the logs that come off the 8 way are great, a bit smaller than the 6 way once over about 10 inch, the 8 way goes down to about 8 inch which is better in 4, so i can cover all diameters with one knife and iam finding i can avoid the bigger logs that i used to resplit, also Fuelwood modified the pin to be removable, this makes switching the knife out a real sinch, not that i can see me needing to change itd452f62efdd71ff4650b6e2ec54b7380.jpg627f3133b84e35e50bd4c6d5d3115faa.jpg84f61a9f73ffaca279722e39d222e87e.jpgea26a5103bc4473480fa4a4c977a5c53.jpg

• Like 1

Yes Gdh i must say i don't miss changing knives, the hydraulic raise / lower is great, i can also cut the blanks for the kindle machine, was having s sensible discussion the other day with someone on down time during a day, all these little things like swapping knifes or grading timber to minimise knife changes still take time, some things there is no getting away from but if we can minimise the down time then gotta be a good thing, did u see that picture of all that straight timber ? i don't know where they source that from but it puts my stuff in the shadow

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have run about 10 tons through the new 8/4/2 and overall iam very pleased it gives a greater range of sizes, so some smaller bits and i find i only get a handful of bits which are too big ( usually if it ring centres more to left or right due to a knobbly bit) i do have to be careful not to over stretch the 4 way but find i can goto 8 way from 9 inch this gives 4 great size and 4 smaller splits, and as you get upto 10-14 inch it just seems to produce lots of logs quick, i was concerned about the ram having enough push, however i have had no refusals splitting oak, time will tell but atm iam really liking this knife, it's possible if i was doing it again to get the lowest part welded off the bottom of the sides, this would give about an inch more on the 4 way and also the lower part of the 8, i may have another mod in the future but atm iam pleased, i like not having to keep swapping the knives though

f4e30c804d1c49a3e67b6a2613e212f5.jpg

• Like 1

I like to have a few smaller logs in the load when I buy them. Useful for getting the fire going, and feeding the smaller stove...

Yes i can see very little down side to having a few smaller bits, this 8 way as shown is splitting 14 inch but as you get down to 9 inch or if you don't centre it u get some great morning sticks [emoji106]