Meripilus on Massive Beech Tree

Joeyy

Hello. My neighbor has a huge mature beech tree next to my house separated by a country lane. Meripilus has fruited on it now for the third year and a week ago started to grow again. It is in 5 separate areas on the buttress roots, the tree being in a high hedgerow, the roots come down the bank. The crown is very thin this year.  I will take photos and add these in a day or two. 

My question is would you be pushing to have the tree felled if you lived under it? Would cutting back the branches over my property make it unstable even more? Or would this help it fall away from my house?

Any help will be good thank you.

Joe

20160927_185432.thumb.jpg.3436d22e31141ce1eb1c35acd95bdd99.jpg20160927_185409.thumb.jpg.89e344c1d88ac5f81f3c237337edfba0.jpg

Edited by Joeyy
photos

The beech sounds like the Meripilus colonisation is advanced and the tree is in terminal decline with compromised roots.

i'd like to see context images of the tree in its situ and canopy shots, as Meripilus doesn't always = removal (I've managed Beech trees with Meripilus for more than a decade)

But from your description, removal (or reduction to mitigate the target) would appear to be sound management of a tree in that condition.

Here are some photos. It is the tree on the left where there are two in the photo. You can se sit is very big and a great concern to me. Am I right to be worried and want swift action? My house is out of shot but you can see my hedge directly opposite the tree.

Edited by Joeyy

Your neighbour has a duty of care to ensure their trees aren't in a position to cause injury or harm. I'd ring them up or call round and inform them that the tree needs to be inspected by someone who is suitably qualified. I'd also notify them in writing/email of your justified concern, possibly sending photo's too.

Thank you for you thoughts. I do intend to write to them and have spoken to him already. Looking at the photos myself it's very full on the side we live and thin on the other, I'm a little more worried than before. 

Would it be silly to move out until it is resolved or Is it low risk? If we had a storm I don't think I would stay here personally. 

Thank you for you thoughts. I do intend to write to them and have spoken to him already. Looking at the photos myself it's very full on the side we live and thin on the other, I'm a little more worried than before. 

Would it be silly to move out until it is resolved or Is it low risk? If we had a storm I don't think I would stay here personally. 

A competent tree inspector should advise on the urgency of tree work required.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app