Acceptable or Underhand?

treecreeper arb

Evening all.I went to do a days work for an established and trusted client today.A nice days maintenance work on some great trees, in beautiful sunshine.The work required was in a conservation area and i had acted as an agent for my client and had received full consent for all works.My client produced a letter from another recently arrived local company,the first paragraph of which was the following.."We have noted that you recently applied for planning to xxxxxxxxx Council in order to work on your trees.xxx would like the opportunity to put in a free quotation on this."

My client is happy with us as their regular Arborists, and decided to ignore the offer.I understand that the information with regards to my notifications to the LA is freely available on their website, but personally feel that this is a slightly underhand way of getting quotes, i.e trawling the local LAs lists of applications/notifications for Tree Work, particularly when it is clear that another Arb firm has been asked to be/paid to be an agent. I'm interested to know what others think of this method of attracting business. I know its a cutthroat game, and am fully aware that business can be mean,and that in the scale of human unpleasantness this isn't much to worry about. What are your thoughts please gentlemen?

In a perfect world everyone would play by the same rules, but that's in a perfect world. I've had competitors approach my customers in the hope of poaching them. its something I don't do, if I approach someone because I believe I can offer a service that is of mutual benefit and they inform me they already have someone else lined up for the job, I walk away. Our businesses may be vastly different in size, type of work, etc. but I believe any customer that puts saving a few quid before trust, loyalty, good history, and a successful working relationship isn't worth holding onto. But then I don't have employees with mortgages depending on me, I have the luxury of staying clear of the shit fight. Probably not of much help but i'd take a clear conscience over dirty money any day. Playing dirty is a slippery slope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw, acceptable or underhand is a false dilemma it is neither of those things and yet both.

I have done it many years ago (although not when other companies have made the application)

It is what it is, if they knocked on the door it would be beyond the pale. No harm in a letter.

• Thanks 1

It's business, some people only think in one direction - FORRRRWAAAARRRRD!
Not a technique I'd use, I'd rather have a pint with the competition, flick work between us when we're busy, team up on bigger jobs and help out when kit breaks down.
Mind you, I never wanted to take over the world.
I don't run apps until we've had the quote accepted, and I've never been bounced yet, but I've probably been lucky.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your thoughts all....Its no biggy really, just curious as to others experiences and thoughts...Luckily most of my clients are loyal(so far...). Interestingly these particular clients felt that the letter was intrusive and an inappropriate way to attempt to get work,so it backfired anyway.

I like your way of thinking Mark...cheers!

Edited by treecreeper arb