Farm saw recommendations

Keep_flying

Afternoon everyone, going to do one of those which is best posts everyone loves so much.

So I've got £400 to spend on a saw that will need to do pretty much everything. After some prompting I was looking at the Stihl ms271 but on reading some (old) discussion here about Husqvarna 346 or 550 thought I'd ask the experts.

It will need to do some felling, maintenance work in a 10 acre woodland we have, mostly logging, general farm work and of course get dragged into chopping up anything over 3 or 4" diameter.

As with most farm tools it'll spend the vast majority of its life in a shed and then be expected to start first pull.

So there you go, I've probably committed some horrible chainsaw etiquette fopar so please forgive me but all advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Stretch the budget by a pub meal and buy a Husqvarna 365 xt.

Old school build quality

No electrickery

Can be changed to 372 without spending any money (no parts needed)

It's a downtuned 72cc saw, that's being squeezed to perform like a 65cc saw.

So less stress, grunty, reliable.

• Like 1

The husqvarna 450 would suit your needs and is pretty on budget. Can take an 18" bar and is on 325 chain with a 50cc engine with plenty of poke. It's a conventional saw with no auto tune etc. This is what I would buy if buying new and comes with a 1 year plus an extra years warranty if registered which any good dealer would do for you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter said:

Yes it seems to have gone up by 40 quid delivered since I bought one in march 2015, good basic saw but a bit heavy by modern standards.

What is the widest diameter stuff you will be cutting?If 20'' and under I'd suggest 346xp or ms260. If larger a 357 or 365 husqvarna or ms361 ms460 stihl . Sure echo do some good 50 or 60cc saws as do makita/dolmar.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi Bill, got a couple of decent trees that need to come down around 18" at the base but the majority of the work will be maintenance in a 10 year old wood so around 12" diameter. I saw some of the echo saws but didn't know anything about them, likewise dolmar not seen them.