Bracing

Mr Org

The Gefa system is a good one, use it a lot. They do both Static and Dynamic systems.
Far superior to Cobra or Boa and a lot easier to install, in my opinion.

Cable bracing is a fascinating resource which is general under utilised in this country, as a way of retaining high value trees with defects.

If your going to spec and install it I would strongly recommend that you go on a cable bracing course, as installing it is one thing but understanding and specifying it is a whole other thing.

I've often thought about trying to find out how many people hold the NPTC ticket, I'm guessing not many.

Kev Moore runs a great course.

Regards Neil

Thank Neil,

I intend to put myself on the course for the exact point you make. Just done the PTI (waiting for results), and legal implications of bracing were discussed should failure occur, very interesting so all boxes need ticking. The chap who works for me has done loads of bracing mainly in Europe and has done an ISA course for it, but as I'm in charge I want to understand the mechanics to be confident on the specification. Do you know where Kev Moore is based?

Great attitude always nice to see to see other arborists wanting to do things properly.

Kev Moore is based in Essex.
I can send you his details.

I'm going on a course in October as a refresher with Kev Moore, that Ben Daniel is organising in South Wales, it's possible that there is a space on that course.
Send me your contact details and I'll put you in touch with both Kev and Ben.

Regards Neil

Any hollow braid rope can be used for both dynamic and static bracing systems as long as it is uv resistent, low stretch, abrassion resistent, easy to splice, sufficient contact area and the tensile strength needed for the job.

One example of a rope that can be used:

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=56&item=16913

Here is a video that shows installation

• Like 1

• 2 years later...