Most efficient way of processing brash on site?

simonm

11 minutes ago, arbwork said:

how tidy do you have to leave the sites could you mulch them? if not   crane fed medium size as here http://www.jaspwilson.co.uk/en/tp-chipper-320-tractor-pto-crane-fed-uk   can be effective or crane mounted on tractor enabling you to forward/load without the chipper attached,  remote control of chipper is advisable, cable or wireless, and some models are only crane fed,  Jensen, TP, Schliesing,  Junkkari, bandit,  hiezohack among some of the potential

Never thought about a tractor...would be very versatile, could stick a loader on to move timber for the clean up. What size machine can you hang off a tractor? i guess it depends on the horse power.

25 minutes ago, arbwork said:

you can go independent crane fed chip as here Richard Blakey's one but the tractor option gives a lot of options, I would suggest perhaps 100 to 200 hp tractor could power10 to 12'' chipper   Bandit.thumb.jpg.285d229249ef184eec2f3cb7f93f2763.jpg

Something like that looks ideal...would do the job of 10 men! Wont ring in sick or moan about how shit the job is...

Big chippers are great on the right job but I've found in most cases a hand fed chipper is more adequate, especially when combined with a skid steer to eliminate dragging.
We have a range of chipper including a big tracked Bandit which we feed with a 360 a combination we find works really well.
That said our operator is highly skilled and it's taken him man years to get that good.

561571b09c78e0080d218b799ff6e65e.jpg

There are down sides. The initial purchase cost, transporting it to and from site and if your taking the chip off site what do you use, our Bandit will fill the back of one of our trucks in 20-30mins.

As mentioned before you might be better off just hiring in one when you need it but I'm sure Dean and Andy at global would be quite happy to take your money!

Regards Neil

• Like 1

This is my rig, 

its towable, its crane feedable, I can remove chip, I can also stick the digger in the lorry for one complete unit 

the only downside is that the chipper is a bit sinky in winter and you need a bloke to operate chipper controls, i could get this automated for about £1.5k

SJKG5335[1].jpg

This is my rig, 
its towable, its crane feedable, I can remove chip, I can also stick the digger in the lorry for one complete unit 
the only downside is that the chipper is a bit sinky in winter and you need a bloke to operate chipper controls, i could get this automated for about £1.5k
59a8fa6b06076_SJKG53351.thumb.jpg.83a9e29dcc407ce275ee3397b5bedcd4.jpg

I remember watching that setup working. I'd finished the reduction and though "ill be chipping that lot this afternoon"... not a chance!

Here's that chipper behind my truck for scale.

12ae583748ca3b2f164e6db7dca2988e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 21:49, simonm said:

Something like that looks ideal...would do the job of 10 men! Wont ring in sick or moan about how shit the job is...

It will however:

Break down, leaving you unable to work, possibly while still having to pay the guys who turned up and didn't moan about the job

Depreciate and be expensive while employees should get better over the years

It can't rake up or cut hedges or split logs or do a multitude of other jobs needed throughout the year

get stolen or set on fire, leaving you buggered..

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of bigger chippers (we have three 10 inch and a 7 inch for spare).  But for most domestic work the brash is handballed at some stage so as long as your chipper can keep up with  the brash draggers there is little benefit of a crane fed machine..    Land clearance, motorway stuff mechanical feed is going to win every time but most jobs an extra man is more versatile especially when it comes to raking..

Over the years I have tried lots of different methods, At one park we have removed 30 + big poplars in 3 different occasions.  

The first 10 we knocked them all over then  brought in a whole tree chipper, big 360 with splitter  and forwarder, which then "cleared up."  It worked well, but we closed of a large area of park, the machines made a BIG mess and we had a lot of raking and ground reinstatement.  

The second 10 we used our 10 inch chippers had a small 360 to help with handling and logs taken away. Less mess/damage, less machine costs, I think better outcome.  Wage bill was obviously higher but then staff are an asset

The third 10 were a bit smaller and more spread out and needed a bit more climbing so, we did them in a more piece meal fashion , 1 or 2 a day, clear up after each.

I am not sure I have a point, each method worked, I should probably should have worked out which was the most profitable..