To old?

TomoJack

3 hours ago, beechwood said:

I can't say I agree with that statement, although you will hear it said by a lot of people within the industry that 'climbing is a young mans game' (general by those who did once climb but now no longer do).

Tree climbing and tree surgery used to be a lot about physical grunt, dragging your self up trees and carrying large loads to the chipper by hand but now if you embrace new techniques and equipment you can work smart without screwing your body and therefore there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to keep working on site till you retire.

So there is no reason that being over 30 would mean no one would want to employ you, one of my best climbers is well over 40.

That said tree climbers are normal light weight and as fit as a fiddle but even if you not right now, with the right attitude and perseverance you soon will be.

Sounds like sour grapes from someone who couldn't make it in the industry to me (very judgmental of me) or maybe they were just having a bad day.

I'd be a little worried about spending £3000 with someone who is already talking down your ambitions before you have even started the course.
Surely if they are a good instructor, they should be confident that they will set you on the path to becoming a decent arborist.

It's surprising because I've heard nothing but good things about Kingswood.

I'd advise you to talk to them again, ask them why they said that?
Perhaps you should look at other training providers.
Maybe someone like Tony Derbyshire, who like me is a little north of 30 and might be more suited to help start you on your new career path.

Just my thoughts and opinions.
I wish you the best of luck.
Regards Neil

Sorry the confusion the theory course is a separate place than the Kingswood.

How old was the guy who said it?

If he was a young lad as is often the case, maybe they couldn't cut the physical side of it and took the more academic route.  

If he was an older bloke then he might be judging by the fact he was an old school dinosaur and the amount of time he spent in ill fitting harnesses, terrible ropes and old heavy saws...  may explain his point as it can be hard on everyone.

some get on with it, others make excuses.

• Like 1