Tyre sealant - any good?

brendanxx

Hi,

I'm clearing my land at the moment before cutting down trees. I have a Countax tractor mower which works well but I'm concerned about bramble punctures - has anyone advice about sealants? Do they really work against thorns, damage tyres etc. If advised has anyone recommendations - slime, for instance, seems front runner.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Brendan

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I have found OKO to be good stuff .

It does kind of work, but really only good if you keep moving.  If you park with the punctures at the top of the wheel it will lose pressure when the fibres in the holes dry out.  Plus it rusts the wheel rims to hell, and can knacker your tyre valve, as you'll find out when you want to pump them up. 

As you can probably tell I hate this stuff with a passion, lol..

Thorn Guards are the best method if you can find some, not cheap though.

Unlike lurkalot, and I am not trying to create an argument, I find OKO brilliant stuff and have used 100's of bottles of it over the years. I reckon on about a 95% success rate and am servicing tractors that I put this in about 15 years ago and no problems with rims or valves.(and no more punctures!) I have had problems with valves on machines where customers have used it themselves and not cleaned the valve stem out before reinserting the core though.

Yea you got to blow the valve core out with the air line before you re assemble the valve . Also when you squirt it in keep spinning the wheel for a bit to even out the distribution .  I have never had any problems with it . Its in my ride on , my Osprey and both my log splitters . Good stuff .

Had varying degrees of success with OKO but its not something I would rely on. Foam filled is worth looking at but expensive, alternatively these are good http://www.marathonind.com/Flat-Free-Tires-Lawnmower-Tires.aspx

After being tortured to death with stabbed tyres on our amazon cut and collect I fitted the flat free`s , no problems since .

Bob

Great stuff oko. When I worked for someone he had an old fordson major with jungle buster on it ran sealant in rear tyres, when we had lunch would all ways drive tractor up and down clear ground before stopping it work most times, and if we had a puncture that would not seal raised pressure in tyre to about 40 psi and drive it up and down slow and then drop pressure back to normal work every time.    

Many thanks all for useful advice! I'm sort of leaning now towards foam filled tyres - any pros and cons would be most welcome - as flat free seems to be a little hard to get hold of in UK - especially for the large tyres on my old Countax D1850. Haven't dismissed the sealant advice though!

cheers

Brendan