Is 35 too old to start a career as a tree surgeon?

Hound-Dogg

I always think if you are going to spend eight hours plus of your time at any work it needs to be for maximum gain.If at thirty five you realistically think you have the energy, drive or motivation to be competitive in Arb all well and good, if not its going to be slog and big disappointment. Its a game where you only get paid for what you do, the less you can physically do the less you earn so you really need to be up to speed quite quickly and mindful of the day you cant continue, sheckles need to be stashed for that rainy day.

Bob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samantha48 said:

That’s wonderful Liam and 31 is still extremely young ? I am just starting out on my journey much the same as your story really. But I am working full time and paying for my tickets as I go whilst studying ABC level 2 certificate in arboriculture. My main issue will be I can only get experience at the weekends until I can find a full time position because I am paying all the bills. I desperately want this new career and will get there but I wish I could go full time straight away. Unfortunately there are no positions here on the Isle of Wight and I cannot accept an apprenticeship because of needing an income. Financial burdens can ruin your life ??‍♀️ 

Hey Samatha

I feel your pain, I'm lucky that I had a pot of money put by. I was a Freelance Live events sound engineer. And was thinking of the job change any way before Covid. But with Covid there's not alot of live events work now any way. So for me it didn't really matter I HAD to get a new job and work out the finances as we go along. Plus we're mortgage free because we built our own home ourselves. But again I know this is a small minority and i'm very lucky to be in the situation we're in. Not every one is as lucky as myself.

Iv'e also learnt to live very basically, don't buy s**t you don't need is it what's taught me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Liam Outdoors 89 said:

Hey Samatha

I feel your pain, I'm lucky that I had a pot of money put by. I was a Freelance Live events sound engineer. And was thinking of the job change any way before Covid. But with Covid there's not alot of live events work now any way. So for me it didn't really matter I HAD to get a new job and work out the finances as we go along. Plus we're mortgage free because we built our own home ourselves. But again I know this is a small minority and i'm very lucky to be in the situation we're in. Not every one is as lucky as myself.

Iv'e also learnt to live very basically, don't buy s**t you don't need is it what's taught me.

You are very blessed and building your own home ? wow how clever ! The way the economy is heading we all need to be adaptable so well done you. I hope the job is enjoyable for you and good luck with you new baby ? keep posting your progress because it helps us newbies ??

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Luckyeleven said:

I think i read somewhere that 80% of people who qualify are out of industry within 5 years.
Just passed the milestone myself (at 30) recently and can understand why.

Of course they are. Once you win the lottery, you stop buying tickets.

5 years of tree work gives you enough money to retire on?

• Haha 2