Is 35 too old to start a career as a tree surgeon?

Hound-Dogg

2 hours ago, skyhuck said:

I think genetics must play a huge part in ageing. I’ve just turned 51, had over 25 years climbing and the only slight issue I have is a bit of a stiff back in a morning, which is soon sorted with a bit of stretching. I got into mountain bikeing a bout 3 years ago, having been a keen cyclist in my youth. It took me a while to get fit, but now I reckon I’m fitter now than I was 20 years ago. I ride with 2 mates, one of whom is about to turn 60, the are both very fit. We did Snowdon last year, it was pretty busy and for large parts of the ascent we were the only ones riding , lads half our age were all pushing.

I have walked up mount Snowdon but I could never cycle up because it’s exhausting ? your amazing x

Edited by Samantha48
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skyhuck said:

I think genetics must play a huge part in ageing. I’ve just turned 51, had over 25 years climbing and the only slight issue I have is a bit of a stiff back in a morning, which is soon sorted with a bit of stretching. I got into mountain bikeing a bout 3 years ago, having been a keen cyclist in my youth. It took me a while to get fit, but now I reckon I’m fitter now than I was 20 years ago. I ride with 2 mates, one of whom is about to turn 60, the are both very fit. We did Snowdon last year, it was pretty busy and for large parts of the ascent we were the only ones riding , lads half our age were all pushing.

I had this discussion just the other day with someone actually and theres quite likely some merit in it. In my case I came to the conclusion i'm suffering because:

a) I pushed myself harder than the average climber would, consistently over a period of 23 years

or

b) I'm just a massive pussy

I like to think A had a lot to do with it, but probably B is the true answer

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

51 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

If you rate climbers say 1-10, then you will fit in somewhere.

Loads of 1's about making a wage.

crack on I say.

Exactly, give the guy a break, go for It pathfinder. 15 years a roadey, that can be hard work, unsociable hours, rain or shine, unlike arb which seems to be busy - concerts, shows etc is completely screwed with 1000’s out of work! Get your saw tickets and find a job felling for 12 months, that’ll give you more experience than a few climbers that are about?. Council tree officers generally have other experience in the industry and are generally better for it? As you say there are lots of different avenues in arb but don’t think you can gain a few levels in qualification and then pick one of them, do as most have suggested and get some practical experience for a few years, if your any good or have potential someone could push you along in the industry - as opposed to out if you can’t perform. There’s plenty who’ve taken it up later in life and are making a good living out of it. Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be fair young Bullman, sticking at any industry for 23 years is a qualification in itself. I notice many people in last 20 years flipping from post to post, handfuls of part time jobs filling every gap in their life   possibly like many on here.  So  if you dont become Reg Coates or Poynter San, at least you can look on a good job you have done and be satisfied. Thats probably it for many ?  K

• Like 2

Just noticed how old this thread is but I'll share my thoughts any way.

I'm 31 and literally just passed all my basic tickets:

CS30,31,38,39 and Ive got my Lantra Chipper and Stump Grinder.

I turn 32 in February, I've been rec-climbing and doing some basic removals at home (we have a small holding so I can get some practice in) I realize not every one has this option and I am very lucky.

I've been laboring for a few local companies and even been coppicing to get some more saw hours and felling practice in. I have done all this on my back funding it myself. If you have a young family it is really hard work. I have a 2 year old and Fiance who is on the edge of giving birth to baby no.2. It has been really hard, but with constant stretching and simple short exercises I've gotten through it. Sleep depervation is the hardest part. But being in a canopy swinging on ropes is worth it. Also when your'e learning your using energy ineffectively, so when you build experience you'll less likely to waste your energy.

There was a guy on some of my courses who was 48 and loved it, but use foot and knee asscenders, reserve your energy for the cutting and moving around. He was an active person before, running, rowing, rock climbing so that's probably put him in a good place. Also don't expect yourself to climb 5 days a week maybe 1 or 2 hedge cutting days or just feeding the chipper isn't such a bad thing.

I'm very inexperienced so the rest of the group can tell me to suck eggs, but this has been my experience on my journey so far. 

Also have fun at work ?

Liam

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That’s wonderful Liam and 31 is still extremely young ? I am just starting out on my journey much the same as your story really. But I am working full time and paying for my tickets as I go whilst studying ABC level 2 certificate in arboriculture. My main issue will be I can only get experience at the weekends until I can find a full time position because I am paying all the bills. I desperately want this new career and will get there but I wish I could go full time straight away. Unfortunately there are no positions here on the Isle of Wight and I cannot accept an apprenticeship because of needing an income. Financial burdens can ruin your life ??‍♀️ 

• Like 1