Is 35 too old to start a career as a tree surgeon?

Hound-Dogg

You Gotta realise this before your body explodes!

I realised this when I fell out of a tree when I was a kid, so I bought a 17 metre cherry picker with a telescopic boom when I started to work on trees to try and not end up like Steve.  You have much the same view without the hassle!

10 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Is it too deep to say because I like trees and plants and seem to have some inate skill in growing and tending to most things that grow.  I am also no longer able to work in an indoor environment due to certain health issues.  I am also not tied down by a wife or children.  I am a free agent and can go anywhere and practically do anything in the entire world.

Honestly i'm not sure I will ever be a tree surgeon in the same way as most of the people on here.  I am drawn more to the science side of things.  Sure its nice to climb trees and its nice to play with chainsaws and strip them and rebuild them.  I do the same with my motorcycle and car.  Its not rocket science.  But I do enjoy the theory side more than climbing and cutting.  If I got to the end and never climbed a tree, I would be a little sad maybe, but its not the end of the world.  I could have a successful career and never climb a tree or cut a log.  Does every Arborist only climb trees and chop them?  I thought some of you did tree surveys, worked in tree nurseries, worked on pest control, advised on planting, worked in plantations maintaining tree stocks, worked for DEFRA, worked as tree officers within councils, tree scientists within Arboretums.  Yes i get that this forum seems to be more aimed at the people who cut and climb, but are there not other parts to being an Arborist, other career paths that don't include climbing and cutting?   From everything I've read and the Arbs I talked to prior to making this decision, its a lot more than lets climb this tree and lop limbs off it.  Some people choose to never climb, but instead choose to manage.  Some choose to pursue careers in the science of pests and diseases, some do soil, some work on the hybridisation of trees, some do surveys, some do planning.  Lots of paths to progression.  I really want a path that makes a difference.  There are a lot of people who cut and climb, so trying to get a foothold in an already saturated market would be crazy.  At least in the UK.  I might have more luck abroad.  In fact I do intend to work abroad after I finish.  Not sure where yet, but I have family in Canada and Australia and getting work visas for either of those two countries is a lot less hassle when you have relatives that are permanent residents.

In short I don't limit my view to, I must climb trees and start a chainsaw everyday.  I look at the entire picture and decide what works for me.  From what you've said cutting and climbing is a young mans career path.  So I should leave it to young people and experienced people.  Instead I should focus on a different area.

I hear you and admire your passion.

I think someone else touched on it, but having all the paper qualifications in the world of Arb, is one thing.  Having the experience of a working Arb will give your qualifications more credibility.  Qualification prove that you can pass a test or follow a course and submit the required information.  

Just because you pass your driving test doesn’t make you Lewis Hamilton.  Likewise, imagine if you had just passed your driving theory and then start giving advice to HGV Drivers or even Lewis Hamilton, they are gonna think who is this? all the paper looks ok but they can’t even drive.

Same situation.  Nothing worse than trying to meet a spec laid out by a tree officer when they have little to zero practical experience of how to achieve said goal.

It won’t be easy, but if you want to go for it, then what’s stopping you?

Your body will adapt, some can hack it many can’t.  

I would suggest dipping your ‘toe in’.  Try and get some work to see if you like it rather than shell out for the courses.

Good luck.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I hear you and admire your passion.

I think someone else touched on it, but having all the paper qualifications in the world of Arb, is one thing.  Having the experience of a working Arb will give your qualifications more credibility.  Qualification prove that you can pass a test or follow a course and submit the required information.  

Just because you pass your driving test doesn’t make you Lewis Hamilton.  Likewise, imagine if you had just passed your driving theory and then start giving advice to HGV Drivers or even Lewis Hamilton, they are gonna think who is this? all the paper looks ok but they can’t even drive.

Same situation.  Nothing worse than trying to meet a spec laid out by a tree officer when they have little to zero practical experience of how to achieve said goal.

It won’t be easy, but if you want to go for it, then what’s stopping you?

Your body will adapt, some can hack it many can’t.  

I would suggest dipping your ‘toe in’.  Try and get some work to see if you like it rather than shell out for the courses.

Good luck.

Cant add much to that Rich. Try it before you buy it is a good idea , a few months on the floor with a team would give most an incite into the mayhem world of arb.

Bob

• Like 3

I'd look into doing a level 4 or level 6 qualification in arboriculture, that'll take a couple of days a week and will help to place you in a position where you can go down the surveying/plant health care route.
That leaves 3 or more days to work with a firm or firms and learn the ropes.

As stated above, it's beneficial to know how things actually work when writing up work specifications.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 3

Just to add a little context to the responses to date, the majority if the "go for it" gang are making a go of the trade, the ones that had a go and thought bugger this for a game of soldiers are on another forum (plumbing or something of that nature) and aren't here to offer a counter opinion. Just saying.....

Hmmm, you raise a very valid point there my friend [emoji1303][emoji1319]

On 18/10/2020 at 18:24, lux said:

Quite honestly as a generalisation this industry loves to moan and blow smoke up its own arse about how skilled we are. Etc etc. It’s perhaps only the physical nature of the work that sets us apart from other trades.
In reality anyone who is physically fit and is a hands on practical person with some good sense will grasp the motor skills needed to do this job. Maybe it’s the dangling from a bit of rope feeling like an action hero that gives people a raised perception of what’s required.
If the OP was going to learn to plaster or lay bricks at 35 people wouldn’t say much. Most of us couldn’t leave a mirror finish plaster and no doubt if I laid a big brick wall it would be as bent as 9 bob note.
Climbing and cutting trees is a skill for sure but it’s not building a space ship. I recon at 35 he’s got some miles left on the clock and if it makes him happier then give it a bash. Good luck to him.

I can leave a mirror finish on plaster as well as being a superstar climber! ??

• Like 1

On 16/10/2020 at 10:01, Samantha48 said:

I think your attitude is fantastic and you will do really well 35 is nothing as long as you get fit and take care of your body health wise, I cannot work indoors myself ? I am like a caged animal so no matter what life brings I will go the extra mile. Listen to yourself ? strong mind equals strong will x

Running 5 miles a day whilst playing the bag pipes is no mean feat I would say  . You will go far ?

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 09:54, Steve Bullman said:

Yep that’s what I did! Gave up 3 years ago and still in constant pain every day throughout my whole body. Even my toes hurt. 

I think genetics must play a huge part in ageing. I’ve just turned 51, had over 25 years climbing and the only slight issue I have is a bit of a stiff back in a morning, which is soon sorted with a bit of stretching. I got into mountain bikeing a bout 3 years ago, having been a keen cyclist in my youth. It took me a while to get fit, but now I reckon I’m fitter now than I was 20 years ago. I ride with 2 mates, one of whom is about to turn 60, the are both very fit. We did Snowdon last year, it was pretty busy and for large parts of the ascent we were the only ones riding , lads half our age were all pushing.

• Like 2