Is 35 too old to start a career as a tree surgeon?

Hound-Dogg

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

57 in 2 months.

I bet your job has kept you fit and healthy Mick outside too breathing in all that fresh air ? I would encourage anyone of any age to try anything that may make them happy. There are plenty of ground work jobs if a surgeon can no longer climb so in my opinion age is just a number if your healthy ?? 

• Like 1

I was over 40 when I started, 10yrs later and I cope with the work no problem. I run my own business now and have some younger guys working with me who are keen to climb and learn, so I don't climb every day. I wouldn't fancy working for someone else and having to climb 5+ days a week. Not sure i could physically manage that, being over 50. [emoji69]

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I'm much the same, but probably a bit older.  I'm studying near York.  I need to find a work placement/job after half term, preferably a paid one.  I never realised what a pain it would be to go back into education at this point in my life.  Still the end of this leg of the journey will more than make up for any hardship. 

I'm hoping once I've got CS30/31 (next summer), I can pick up enough work before I start year two to pad my finances a bit and buy some climbing kit and a chainsaw.

Couple of blokes up there who may help.  Will find out.  But you may be better moving  for the experience. York area my home area. K

Edited by Khriss

19 minutes ago, jfc said:

I was over 40 when I started, 10yrs later and I cope with the work no problem. I run my own business now and have some younger guys working with me who are keen to climb and learn, so I don't climb every day. I wouldn't fancy working for someone else and having to climb 5+ days a week. Not sure i could physically manage that, being over 50. emoji69.png

That.  Wouldnt mind couple days climbing a week. But watching the London Planes lads in Town, zipping up n down all day every day - sod that.  K

Edited by Khriss
( never mind the Traffic Management arse of it all ? )
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I'm much the same, but probably a bit older.  I'm studying near York.  I need to find a work placement/job after half term, preferably a paid one.  I never realised what a pain it would be to go back into education at this point in my life.  Still the end of this leg of the journey will more than make up for any hardship. 

I'm hoping once I've got CS30/31 (next summer), I can pick up enough work before I start year two to pad my finances a bit and buy some climbing kit and a chainsaw.

I am keeping my full time job and using my holiday time to do the tickets then studying three nights a week at home because I want to learn as much as possible. Once I think I will be worth paying a wage too o will apply for jobs ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silky fox said:

And a fine figure of a Man you are too Mr Dempsey!?? The way I see i we are two ages.One Numerical based on our years alive and then a Biological age which can vary depending on health and vigour...much like a Tree?? I reckon 35 is a perfect age to start if you feel outdoor work that can be physically demanding is for you.Best of luck.

Here here ? I run five miles a day and play the bagpipes so I have the lungs of a twenty year old ?

On 29/08/2017 at 22:18, Simonsnot said:

I hope not! I turned 35 in March this year and have only just got on with it at the start of this year. 

This is something which I have wanted to do for some time but kept putting it off. The end of last year I was fairly depressed with my current work / job role. My Dad was also diagnosed with having a colon tumor. I thought f##k this! I'm not working for the rest of my career in a job I hate to then get told your ill! I want to work in an environment which I get personal enjoyment from. I love being out in the woods, forests etc. And it gives me mental well being. 

Since then I have successfully completed (in old terms) CS 30, 31, 38 & 39 and wood chipper. I have also signed up for ABC level 2 online theory. I plan to add CS 40 & 48 so I can obtain the full qualification. 

My experience is what lets me down though and I appreciate that I will have to work my way back up to a similar position to what I have now. To gain extra experience I volunteer for various trusts but this does take up a lot of free time. 

As some have said this is costly, so for I have spent around 4K on courses and equipment; ground and climbing kit, ground saw etc.

I think your attitude is fantastic and you will do really well 35 is nothing as long as you get fit and take care of your body health wise, I cannot work indoors myself ? I am like a caged animal so no matter what life brings I will go the extra mile. Listen to yourself ? strong mind equals strong will x

43 minutes ago, Samantha48 said:

I am keeping my full time job and using my holiday time to do the tickets then studying three nights a week at home because I want to learn as much as possible. Once I think I will be worth paying a wage too o will apply for jobs ?

Are you currently registered as self employed in tandem with your PAYE status?

If not, worth considering for tax efficiency. . 

If you are registered SE, advertising, available and able to deliver services then its likely you would be classified as trading. 

A job comes up, you do it and issue an invoice then you are certainly trading. 

Now, expenses incurred in the process of setting up and delivering your SE trade are potentially tax deductible against the income from PAYE. 

For (a very simple) example:

PAYE earning <40k has a 20% income tax liability (excluding personal allowance)

SE income is also taxable but eligible expenses incurred in the set up and operation of SE are tax deductible. 

Setting up, vehicle, some training, equipment, machinery, IT, phone, home office blah, blah, blah....  all potential tax deductions - especially in the early days when costs tend to exceed income - there is considerable potential tax efficiency to registering SE whilst still employed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Are you currently registered as self employed in tandem with your PAYE status?

If not, worth considering for tax efficiency. . 

If you are registered SE, advertising, available and able to deliver services then its likely you would be classified as trading. 

A job comes up, you do it and issue an invoice then you are certainly trading. 

Now, expenses incurred in the process of setting up and delivering your SE trade are potentially tax deductible against the income from PAYE. 

For (a very simple) example:

PAYE earning <40k has a 20% income tax liability (excluding personal allowance)

SE income is also taxable but eligible expenses incurred in the set up and operation of SE are tax deductible. 

Setting up, vehicle, some training, equipment, machinery, IT, phone, home office blah, blah, blah....  all potential tax deductions - especially in the early days when costs tend to exceed income - there is considerable potential tax efficiency to registering SE whilst still employed. 

That’s a fantastic tip you are very knowledgeable and I will look into this ?