Is 35 too old to start a career as a tree surgeon?

Hound-Dogg

35, started my own setup gig last year. Climbed a couple of weekends a month for about a year previous to that. Happily acknowledge my skill level and sub in a climber as needed if it’s beyond my abilities, fully booked to the end of Nov currently all from word of mouth.
So it’s possible, it’s graft for sure, the ground work is far harder on the body than climbing is.
Having your own business takes up a lot of time and initial capital to get going.
Would i go back to being a sales rep like the world i left? not for a long time!

• Like 6

I'm just starting down the Arb route.  I'm 45 and fully expect to not be able to climb trees like I climbed rock faces 15 years ago at Uni.  My fitness is nowhere near that level.  Saying that I am not physically weak and can lift a fair amount of weight at the gym, but my fitness level 15 years ago was at a much higher level than it currently is.

As I see it, I don't plan on running an Arb business at 60.  I would prefer to move into teaching and disease research when my body no longer wants to take the abuse.  Its probably not the route for everyone, but I think in the long term I can achieve more through research and academia, than by working directly.

My current plan is to get my Level 3 for now, work, build up experience, work abroad for a bit and then progress to a full degree in Hort, possibly with an eye on taking up a career in pests and disease research, and/or teaching something in relation to what we do.  In many ways its too early to be more specific than that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Guessing you have a problem with the finite amount of trees that are available.  Or do you commute to mainland for work?

No I am just beginning my courses ? I have worked outdoors my whole life and I was in the Army for Ten years and I LOVE the outdoors and climbing so perfect new job for me. Move over boys ?

• Like 7

I'm much the same, but probably a bit older.  I'm studying near York.  I need to find a work placement/job after half term, preferably a paid one.  I never realised what a pain it would be to go back into education at this point in my life.  Still the end of this leg of the journey will more than make up for any hardship. 

I'm hoping once I've got CS30/31 (next summer), I can pick up enough work before I start year two to pad my finances a bit and buy some climbing kit and a chainsaw.

• Like 1

And a fine figure of a Man you are too Mr Dempsey!?? The way I see i we are two ages.One Numerical based on our years alive and then a Biological age which can vary depending on health and vigour...much like a Tree?? I reckon 35 is a perfect age to start if you feel outdoor work that can be physically demanding is for you.Best of luck.

• Like 2