Is 35 too old to start a career as a tree surgeon?

Hound-Dogg

10 minutes ago, Hound-Dogg said:

One says go for it and the other is worried I'm over the hill... think I'll do a distance learning course anyway as I want to learn

Just to add a little context to the responses to date, the majority if the "go for it" gang are making a go of the trade, the ones that had a go and thought bugger this for a game of soldiers are on another forum (plumbing or something of that nature) and aren't here to offer a counter opinion. Just saying.....

• Like 2

If you want to do it you will, I headed no advice did army resettlement and got stuck in.  Dam near killed myself before realising I had to sub to learn and save every penny to buy kit. 

However five years after my first course and working every weekend and leave for anyone who would have me and one year  after leaving the army and never having subbed since I'm doing alright. 

Depends what you want but with the right attitude and two brothers in the game you'll be alright, design sounds sedentary as an occupation and if you haven't kept fit it will hurt even if you have it will. Climbing trees is the easy bit, dragging brash and humping timber is the hard bit. 

Get stuck in you'll be fine if you aren't go back to design knowing you tried. 

• Like 3

Just to add a little context to the responses to date, the majority if the "go for it" gang are making a go of the trade, the ones that had a go and thought bugger this for a game of soldiers are on another forum (plumbing or something of that nature) and aren't here to offer a counter opinion. Just saying.....

Best reply here.

If you're 35 now you'll be about 40 by the time you can say your pretty much well rounded in the game. Well where to next from there? Most of the posters on this thread aren't even full time climbers or have only just stepped into the game, their chipperness is basically worthless as advice. Your body WILL take a beating in this game, your back will go and so will your elbows. The remuneration in tree work really isn't that great, equipment is expensive and there's a ceiling on what you can charge as a good climber.

If you want to do tree work then go study, that way you can still dabble in the hands on aspect but you'll have a full back in a disciplined area of expertise.

On 24 August 2017 at 07:27, Hound-Dogg said:

Hi all, was just wondering what you experienced guys thought, but I am 35 and thinking of a career change and training/starting as a tree surgeon. Do you think it is possible to start at this age?

appreciate your advice!

I hope not! I turned 35 in March this year and have only just got on with it at the start of this year. 

This is something which I have wanted to do for some time but kept putting it off. The end of last year I was fairly depressed with my current work / job role. My Dad was also diagnosed with having a colon tumor. I thought f##k this! I'm not working for the rest of my career in a job I hate to then get told your ill! I want to work in an environment which I get personal enjoyment from. I love being out in the woods, forests etc. And it gives me mental well being. 

Since then I have successfully completed (in old terms) CS 30, 31, 38 & 39 and wood chipper. I have also signed up for ABC level 2 online theory. I plan to add CS 40 & 48 so I can obtain the full qualification. 

My experience is what lets me down though and I appreciate that I will have to work my way back up to a similar position to what I have now. To gain extra experience I volunteer for various trusts but this does take up a lot of free time. 

As some have said this is costly, so for I have spent around 4K on courses and equipment; ground and climbing kit, ground saw etc.

On 29/08/2017 at 22:18, Simonsnot said:

I hope not! I turned 35 in March this year and have only just got on with it at the start of this year. 

This is something which I have wanted to do for some time but kept putting it off. The end of last year I was fairly depressed with my current work / job role. My Dad was also diagnosed with having a colon tumor. I thought f##k this! I'm not working for the rest of my career in a job I hate to then get told your ill! I want to work in an environment which I get personal enjoyment from. I love being out in the woods, forests etc. And it gives me mental well being. 

Since then I have successfully completed (in old terms) CS 30, 31, 38 & 39 and wood chipper. I have also signed up for ABC level 2 online theory. I plan to add CS 40 & 48 so I can obtain the full qualification. 

My experience is what lets me down though and I appreciate that I will have to work my way back up to a similar position to what I have now. To gain extra experience I volunteer for various trusts but this does take up a lot of free time. 

As some have said this is costly, so for I have spent around 4K on courses and equipment; ground and climbing kit, ground saw etc.

Sounds real similar to what is going on in my life mate! Definite food for thought, thanks! Maybe I can try and save some cash first before I start. Any regrets?

• Like 1