Is 35 too old to start a career as a tree surgeon?

Hound-Dogg

I think a lot of it depends upon you as a person. For instance, I know several tree surgeons that had a career in the forces before getting into it. They were obviously fairly fit and active lads. I think the bit most don't realise, is that you can't just change career overnight and suddenly become something you are not! You would undoubtedly have to work for someone else to start with as it takes years to build up experience. I've seen a lot of folk do resettlement courses when leaving the forces and suddenly decide to be a builder/electrician/plumber/arborist/etc..  They get a ticket and put an Advert in the local paper and expect the phone to ring but it doesn't!  It takes years to build up a client database and most work comes from word of mouth recommendation. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

SG

• Like 4

If your fit and have good knees and back 35 isn't necessarily old to start climbing. Getting the tickets and getting in the tree is the easy part. Learning how to be efficient and skilful , like anything takes time.
Like stumpy says, building a business takes a lot of time, effort and investment.
All the best

Everyones too old or too young to start anything..  its a bedblocker mentality..

If you want to do it, get on with it..  if you want to establish a business, then its gonna take about fifteen years before its fully established.. 

That said, the journey is as good as the destination, so another bedblocker out the way... good luck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hound-Dogg said:

Hi all, was just wondering what you experienced guys thought, but I am 35 and thinking of a career change and training/starting as a tree surgeon. Do you think it is possible to start at this age?

appreciate your advice!

Errr...no i dont think it is.

Fit body strong mind can accomplish anything if you want it enough.

Charge on my good man...charge on!

• Like 1

Not too old, but probably knocking on the door.

There's  bound to be someone on in a bit saying they started at age 73 and now 30 years later they're as good as anyone (Timon probably) 

What do you hope to achieve? If you think that it's just day after day of swinging  around trees to rapturous applause coming down at the end  covered in sweat and sawdust to be ushered into the client's master bedroom to rut with the wife like a pair of seasoned up hyenas, pausing briefly on the way out to collect a grand in cash from the grateful husband, well, that's only two or three days a week.

What do you do now? Why do you want to do this work?

BTW. in answering these questions use of the word "passionate" like its Masterchef or something is banned

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1