New Tipper body for old Ford Transit

wjotner

I've decided after a lot of thought to keep my crewcab transit tipper. But the tipper body needs improving/replacing.

How much would you expect to pay to have a standard tipper body replaced/improved with aluminium sides, barn doors and chip roof? Does anyone think this can be done for less than £1500?

I'm amazed by the crazy money people spend on coach built alloy tipper bodies, sure if you have ten squads out six days a week and four months work on the books and a few juicy long term contracts, then why not pay £3,000 for one, you'll probably earn that in the time it takes to fit it. If however like me you don't have that sort of revenue coming in, a trip to the local metal supplier for some alloy boards or a few 8x4 sheets of 5mm alloy chequer plate, a few lengths of 25mm box section, and a box of rivets, hey presto! Any small engineering firm can weld up an angle iron frame to the original tipper bed, quick lick of paint, then fab the alloy sides, doors, and lid, complete with shiney hinges for half the price.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, flatyre said:

I'm amazed by the crazy money people spend on coach built alloy tipper bodies, sure if you have ten squads out six days a week and four months work on the books and a few juicy long term contracts, then why not pay £3,000 for one, you'll probably earn that in the time it takes to fit it. If however like me you don't have that sort of revenue coming in, a trip to the local metal supplier for some alloy boards or a few 8x4 sheets of 5mm alloy chequer plate, a few lengths of 25mm box section, and a box of rivets, hey presto! Any small engineering firm can weld up an angle iron frame to the original tipper bed, quick lick of paint, then fab the alloy sides, doors, and lid, complete with shiney hinges for half the price.

common sense answer above.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to get a quote or two from some local welders. I'm not really the DIY, bodge it together myself type. So I'd have to pay someone to do it. I just want to get an idea of what I might have to pay someone to fit ally sides onto the tipper bed. 

The tipper bed is ok. So it's just a case of building onto it i reckon.

Thanks for your answers

I have a transit tipper that had a steel back. Bought aluminium sides for £400 paid a welder £100 to fit them. Got fed up of chip spraying everywhere so got the same welder to weld a hood on for £250. If the tipper body is fucked the I would put another £1000+ on top of that. 

IMG_8571.JPG

21 minutes ago, flatyre said:

how about this, great bargain and could fit with a bit of tinkering!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5T-TIPPER-BODY-/263106322512?hash=item3d425be050:g:LwYAAOSw5rdZeEEv

I wouldn't have it give to me even if I was on the way to the scrapyard with only half a load onboard.

• Like 1