to sub or not to sub?

flatyre

Hey folks the local arb scene is a bit of a mix round here between small one and two man firms and much larger operations, some of which have large backlogs of work. At 39 I don't think training up as a climber is an option, so am considering subbing as a groundsman with his own gear as well as doing my own work. Currently have a tipper and working on getting a chipper, then a stump grinder. Do any of you sub with a similar setup and is it financially rewarding? What percentage of your work is as a subby? And where does the bulk of your work come from, small firms with limited equipment and staff, or big firms with too much work? much appreciated.

i'd like to climb but its a lot of money for all the certs, and all for nowt if you pick up a bad injury, plus I have a healthy fear of heights. Granted a bad injury could finish a career in brash dragging. I already sub occasionally to another firm as a groundsy so am thinking i'll possibly get more work if I have more equipment, plus I can still use the setup for my own work. Thanks for the input.

Hey Mick hows things, I sub in a couple of really good climbers on jobs beyond my skill level, they in turn sub me in for the same daily rate, am pushing my own business first and foremost, being the boss is the most profitable but stressing, being a subby is nice and relaxing, I get a days wage without having to deal with the customer. ideally a blend of the two would be perfect!

Hey Dan, been slowly clawing out my own business for a couple of years now, after having a taste of self employment I don't think I could go back to being barked at. Also ain't right to get someone else to pay for my tickets then do a houdinni.

No of course running off isn't the way to go, I was thinking maybe you're new to the industry and needed the experience anyway. I'd imagine the only way to go is to get a regular climber to work for you while you build a client base and get all the equipment together. I think it'll be tough if you cant climb though, I don't know anyone who didn't start their business without doing the climbing

7 hours ago, flatyre said:

Hey Mick hows things, I sub in a couple of really good climbers on jobs beyond my skill level, they in turn sub me in for the same daily rate, am pushing my own business first and foremost, being the boss is the most profitable but stressing, being a subby is nice and relaxing, I get a days wage without having to deal with the customer. ideally a blend of the two would be perfect!

Hey Dan, been slowly clawing out my own business for a couple of years now, after having a taste of self employment I don't think I could go back to being barked at. Also ain't right to get someone else to pay for my tickets then do a houdinni.

Pretty good Jon, slow August as usual! I don't mind though, heat can be unpleasant.