PROFESSIONAL TREE INSPECTION COURSE

davefal

Hi everyone

my question to you guys is AM I READY???? .I trained in caple manor in 2001/2 and got my amenity level two cert, since then i have been a working tree surgeon, done most things and seen what i would say alot of sketchy jobs and of course lots of leylandii.... 2 yrs ago got a job with a local authority on there tree crew, now they want to put me on this course. im not sure if i would have the required textbook knowledge to complete the 3 day course .....advice and recommendations welcome

If you don't already have it, buy "Principles of Tree Hazard Assessment and Management" by Dr David Lonsdale.  Memorise it.

It's a very tricky course as it should be.  I'm awaiting my results. I don't think I've passed despite having ten years experience and a Foundation degree in Arboriculture,

Make sure your fungi ID is bang on.

Good luck and prepare for round two.

Davefal, who is yr tutor / instructor ? Guy Watson is brilliant, bloody good laff too. Don't sweat it, they are looking at accurate terms of Description in yr report. No vagueness or subjective words. Also, you Can be wrong , but must not be negligent. That's the aim . K

Dave will cover it in the tutorial, it's about accuracy and consistency, and as he will probably tell you ( Guy did ) if yr not sure at anything whilst actually on the job-what do you actually do in real life ? You go look it up in yr texts ! So don't feel daunted- I found it very intensive but achieved 78% on my first go ( pass is 70% ) better than my lorry or car tests :P k

15 hours ago, davefal said:

... im not sure if i would have the required textbook knowledge to complete the 3 day course .....advice and recommendations welcome

In part, the other part being for those presenting as nominated manager in an ARB Approved Contractor business, the AA 'Arboricultural Knowledge' course (see https://www.trees.org.uk/Training-And-Events/Course-Detail?id=F70A1D98-B824-4229-B1E0-68C2C283EF6F ) was developed as a "bench-marking" opportunity for the PTI course. In general it's pitched at (academic) level 3.../4 and may be an option worth considering as a precursor if you're unsure (sorry if that sounds like a sales pitch, not meant to be!)

Additionally, and a key aspect, is some prior experience of tree surveys and tree inspections...including recording the findings.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul