Left Handers Suffering Yet Again

Billhook

1 hour ago, daveindales said:

I'm left handed, and have always started all saws, strimmers  etc with my left hand. If two of us are chipping, I always stand on the right hand side and chuck the branches in , mainly with my left hand. 

Funny thing  this hand thing. If playing cricket, I would bowl left handed, and bat right handed. I play golf right handed, but play snooker, and darts left handed. Perhaps, that's why I'm no good at any of them!!!

Well we seem to have stirred up a hornets nest and they want to beat us up and burn us for being a bit different!   We are a bit sinister whilst they are all dexterous.

No Stubby, I am not Ginger and I am lost as to why that would be an issue!  

S.Varty the top handle I can operate in just the same way as an ordinary saw, it is just more dangerous with the saw chain in line with your head in a kick back.

It is absolutely correct of you to bat right handed if you are a left handed bowler.  I am the same and golf and hockey too.

David Gower bats left handed but bowls right arm.

This is the reason we do not do well at cricket.  If you are totally left handed/right brained then you will also be left eyed.  To discover which is your leading eye "Fire" your finger at an object with both eyes open.  Then close one eye at a time and see which eye is looking at the object.

When you bat "right handed" as a left eye dominant left hander, your dominant left eye is nearer the bowler and not screened by your nose.  Also all proper cover drives and good shots are mainly done with the left arm, the right arm is just guiding.  It is only village cow shots that are right handed

In a similar way I bet that 90% of left handed golfers are in fact right handed at most other things apart from batting at cricket.

I also mount a bike from the right side.  This also caused me to be thrown off a horse when I tried to do the same.  (It has happened a few times with the wife as well!)

I am right handed, so have a job getting my head around this left handed business, but I cant see why a left handed person uses a long reach on the left side of his body. When I use mine my left arm seems to be doing most of the work with my right just steering and triggering, so I would have thought this machine favours a left handed person?

I have a left handed customer who insists he has to use his bike handled brushcutter on his left and then moans about burning himself. I just dont get this, his left hand is still on the left handle and his right is still on the trigger handle. But his left arm is stretched to the left because of the offset.

I reckon the 90% of the population who are right handed should have a moan about RH drive cars, how the hell are we expected to change gear and use the handbrake with our left hand. Left handed people must be better drivers and have cheaper insurance.

Edited by GardenKit

12 hours ago, daveindales said:

I'm left handed, and have always started all saws, strimmers  etc with my left hand. If two of us are chipping, I always stand on the right hand side and chuck the branches in , mainly with my left hand. 

Funny thing  this hand thing. If playing cricket, I would bowl left handed, and bat right handed. I play golf right handed, but play snooker, and darts left handed. Perhaps, that's why I'm no good at any of them!!!

I'm just surprised you admit to playing golf with either hand, what kind of person are you ?:scared1:

16 hours ago, GardenKit said:

I reckon the 90% of the population who are right handed should have a moan about RH drive cars, how the hell are we expected to change gear and use the handbrake with our left hand. Left handed people must be better drivers and have cheaper insurance.

Right hand drive cars are awful for left handers as we have to open the door with our right hand and then operate the steering wheel for most of the journey with our right hand whilst the left hand does the gears, radio, satnav aircon etc

Left hand drive cars are bliss, just like most modern tractors.

On 21/08/2017 at 19:51, daveindales said:

I'm left handed use the chainsaw left handed, I play ally of cricket bowl left handed, bat right handed. When boxing lead with the left hand I think it's coz my left side is dominant this lead with that side 

On 8/21/2017 at 13:26, Billhook said:

Having fought my way up through a right handed world, at school being punished for bad hand writing, in art classes inability to cut out shapes with right handed scissors, music lessons, show me a right handed violin, cello, flute clarinet, oboe.  Eventually bought a left handed Stratocaster in 1971 with a 10% premium. Bank cash machines, Carving knives tin openers, corkscrews, the list is endless.

Chainsaw course I had to relearn to use right handed but I still have to start it left handed.  .

I bought myself a long pole extension for the hedge cutting.  It was a Lidl special tool with chainsaw/Hedge triimmer /strimmer/blade strimmer and has been well made.

I was trimming the top of a thorn hedge when I thought I could smell something burning.  I thought that it must be the new paintwork on the machine but then it felt very hot on my left thigh and I looked down to see my jeans smouldering.  The exhaust was exiting on the right side of the engine and I had the engine hanging on my left side.  I now have a fourth degree burn mark on my thigh!

Good job it was not a few inches more the the right!

Seriously thought in these days of safety being a priority, why are the major manufacturers not building left handed chainsaws and other equipment?

Lefthanders are 10% of the world population.

Just realised today when using my Stijl blower that it can be used left handed. Before when my right arm it tired of blowing I've held the top handle with my left and it sucks yer trousers into the fan, but- if you lock the throttle to flat out then turn it upside down you can use it left handed.

so well done Stijl on making a left handed blower.