Left Handers Suffering Yet Again

Billhook

Having fought my way up through a right handed world, at school being punished for bad hand writing, in art classes inability to cut out shapes with right handed scissors, music lessons, show me a right handed violin, cello, flute clarinet, oboe.  Eventually bought a left handed Stratocaster in 1971 with a 10% premium. Bank cash machines, Carving knives tin openers, corkscrews, the list is endless.

Chainsaw course I had to relearn to use right handed but I still have to start it left handed.  .

I bought myself a long pole extension for the hedge cutting.  It was a Lidl special tool with chainsaw/Hedge triimmer /strimmer/blade strimmer and has been well made.

I was trimming the top of a thorn hedge when I thought I could smell something burning.  I thought that it must be the new paintwork on the machine but then it felt very hot on my left thigh and I looked down to see my jeans smouldering.  The exhaust was exiting on the right side of the engine and I had the engine hanging on my left side.  I now have a fourth degree burn mark on my thigh!

Good job it was not a few inches more the the right!

Seriously thought in these days of safety being a priority, why are the major manufacturers not building left handed chainsaws and other equipment?

Lefthanders are 10% of the world population.

I often find myself needing to left-hand the polesaw, and I'm right handed. Same with the hedger. Never burned myself. Could be that the exhaust on the higher end tools has a baffle to direct the hot gasses forward rather than out the side? I know the 131 does, must check the hedger later. Could you modify the Lidl tool with a bit of bent pipe to achieve this? Not trying to be funny, must be a total pain in the ass to have to work with everting on the "wrong" side...hope your burn mends quickly.

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

You don't need to be left-handed to burn holes in yourself, most of us have managed it at one time or another.

I set fire to my overalls crotch using a 125mm angle grinder, a tool which I am comfortable using left or right handed just by unscrewing the side handle. Making a left handed chainsaw would be a major redesign process for the manufacturers and would probably make left handed saws prohibitively expensive.

• Haha 1

I'm left handed, and have always started all saws, strimmers  etc with my left hand. If two of us are chipping, I always stand on the right hand side and chuck the branches in , mainly with my left hand. 

Funny thing  this hand thing. If playing cricket, I would bowl left handed, and bat right handed. I play golf right handed, but play snooker, and darts left handed. Perhaps, that's why I'm no good at any of them!!!

6 hours ago, Billhook said:

Having fought my way up through a right handed world, at school being punished for bad hand writing, in art classes inability to cut out shapes with right handed scissors, music lessons, show me a right handed violin, cello, flute clarinet, oboe.  Eventually bought a left handed Stratocaster in 1971 with a 10% premium. Bank cash machines, Carving knives tin openers, corkscrews, the list is endless.

Chainsaw course I had to relearn to use right handed but I still have to start it left handed.  .

I bought myself a long pole extension for the hedge cutting.  It was a Lidl special tool with chainsaw/Hedge triimmer /strimmer/blade strimmer and has been well made.

I was trimming the top of a thorn hedge when I thought I could smell something burning.  I thought that it must be the new paintwork on the machine but then it felt very hot on my left thigh and I looked down to see my jeans smouldering.  The exhaust was exiting on the right side of the engine and I had the engine hanging on my left side.  I now have a fourth degree burn mark on my thigh!

Good job it was not a few inches more the the right!

Seriously thought in these days of safety being a priority, why are the major manufacturers not building left handed chainsaws and other equipment?

Lefthanders are 10% of the world population.

Because it will cost us fortune.......but I feel your pain