trailer possible rust

tomm156

Surely from their point of view: you may have abused it horribly by spraying it daily with a highly acidic cleaner or whatever. There could be a problem in the galvanising process.
AFAIK, things need to cure for a bit after galvanising, ie the full protection isn't available straight away after treatment (think this is because the zinc needs to oxidize on the outside to form the barrier of zinc-oxide that seals the metal underneath from oxygen?)
So physical damage (road grit?) Prior to full cure might be one explanation? Which could lead to wondering whether the dealer should have sold it yet, or made you aware to use extra caution. Etc etc.

All speculation until this expert had a look.
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome for you.

Thanks for the update!

Although I agree it does not look right, and I would not be happy with it myself, I find it all a bit strange and look forward to the 'expert' opinion.

It just cannot be bad steel, or bad galvanising.

These trailers are not galvanised after construction. All the components are galvanised in batches and the various components will not have been done in the same batch. The heavy gauge chassis members for instance would have been dipped for longer than the thin sheet components.

So if various parts were showing rust but others not, then it could be poor galvanising of a particular batch.

Unless of course its just a crap galvanising company. I have certainly had some poor galvanising done in the past and had to try other companies.

Have you used TFR much ? ...only pics of the underside , what is the top like?

I have had a.. VERY FEW.. items of work galvanised that turned out poor due to the initial stages of prep to de grease and remove mill scale. The Zinc must "bond" to the material properly so it must be free of contamination.

If you paint on Zinc you need to use a "mordent" to give paint a chance to adhere to the zinc....TFR is highly alkaline and could act similar to a a Mordent and .."may".. cause "some" damage if high in concentration  or washed from the top only leaving it to sit /hang underneath. Pure conjecture on my part. 

Are you on the coast ? been in salt water/carry things that have been in salt water much ? Just asking to eliminate. 

Edited by Sawchip

I think that would be going back whatever the assessor says. I've seen trailers covered in farm muck washed off and still in better nick than that. You don't need mordant solution on weathered galvanising only on fresh stuff.

Edited by peatff

• 1 month later...

update.

so heard back from the dealer today. the galvanise chap has looked at the photos and has said its not rust and thinks I have splashed something. no idea what but anyway.

as a good will gesture they have said they will either steam clean the trailer then wayoil it or I can have a new one and pay £500.

I have decided just to pay the money for piece of mind and to have a new one that hopefully wont rust again. not sure if I am happy with that or no but better than having a trailer in the yard that if I ever come to sell will be worth half of what it should be.

thanks for everyone advice on this

28 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

If it’s still in warranty I wouldn’t be paying anything.

They should be fixing it so it looks like it should or replacing it.

their “good will gesture” or pay 500 quid is what you’d expect outside of the warranty period.

I will speak to them on Monday when I go down and see exactly what the 500 is for. I don't like complaining at people and don't want to threaten to go to trading standards etc but I don't feel like I am getting the service I should here.