Ms200

philh

Hi everyone has anyone modified the cooling fans on the ms200 by removing every other fin I used to race carts and one mod that we did to improve performance was filing off the fins to reduce air drag as the engines were massively over cooled has any one done this and experienced any over heating problems ?

Sent from my LG-H635 using Arbtalk mobile app

Chainsaws are not flying round a track through the cooling air and their cylinder fins are in a cowl, they need all the help they can get to stay cool. How much more performance do you need out of your MS200 ? Was your go kart air or air and water cooled ?

Edited by peatff

True it's not speeding around at 70mph they were air cooled much in the same way as chainsaws..... My thinking is coupling the fin removal with an exhaust mod, bigger carb, port and polish to both plenum chamber and internal crank cases would up the power output thus redcing fatigue

3 hours ago, philh said:

My thinking is coupling the fin removal with an exhaust mod, bigger carb, port and polish to both plenum chamber and internal crank cases would up the power output thus reducing fatigue

You'll struggle to find another carb that will work with the MS200 and where is the plenum chamber ?

Plemun chamber is the part between the carb and includes the crank case where the fuel mixes with air to create the necessary vapor the smoother and shinier polished the walls of ally castings are the less the fuel has to cling to and create uneven fule mixes as regards the carb mod my cousin uprated his but I haven't yet found which carb he used....

At the moment it's standard one shot mix to 5litre of juice but I know what your thinking [emoji6] on holiday at the moment for another week and can't wait to try a different modified/butchered flywheel and see what happens with temperatures will be interesting to see if stihl overengineer as much as Honda

The Kart is constantly moving through the rev range so acceleration is key. The chainsaw needs to hit the power-band and keep there so the acceleration up to the power-band is less important and is probably only important for snedding or similar. The inlet port should not be overly polished as some turbulence in this area is good to mix the fuel and air. In fact many manufacturers put dimples on their inlet manifolds.

The chainsaw really needs the ability to hold the revs in the cut and under load rather than have better acceleration up to that point although a modified saw will often achieve this!